Engine swap or fix the 4.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
So V6 is 2200 and V8 is 1800 ~ ?

Not sure exactly but thats the general area. A v8 will push a v6 converter past 2200 stall if it stalls at 2200 behind the v6. The more low end power you make, the higher the converter will stall. I think all this is covered in a thread in here somewhere called Converter Stall And You or something along those lines.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I also bet its a cracked flexplate, sounds just like what mine was doing. Pull inspection covert then start truck, i bet you can see it wobbling.

Tip, use long 3/8's bolts in the bottom two trans bolt holes so you can just slide the trans back. no messing with re-lining up the dowels or anything, just pull drive shaft, remove cross member, remove all 6 trans bolts, add 2 long bolts in bottom, remove 3 torque convertor bolts and slide it back.

Hoist helps alot, i did one in my driveway in a day, hoist with BSing at same time was 1.5 hours.

If you ever plan on doing a V8 swap, just keep the stock convertor, it is about 2200RPM behind a V8 and about 1900RPM behind a V6 IIRC.

I for one wouldn't bother with a 305 if you ever end up doing the swap, 305's are only about 10-20 more HP then the 4.3L, if you are going to do it just go right for a 350, i honestly cant see any reason to go 305, i bet the 350 gets just as good MPG.

I have done the 4.3L to SBC swap, pretty straight forward, alot of people think engine mounts are the same, they aren't, you will need engine and frame ones, fan shrouds are different, rad is most likely the small one unless you have extra cooling options of some sort. other then that it is very basic, V8 and 4.3L share same accessories, starter, flexplate, sensor's, etc. the TBI unit is the same just needs the injectors swapped (You can swap whole pod if you like) and then just find a PCM for the 350/Auto.

PS- spring for a SFI Certified flexplate while in there (around $75), I had one of the cheap Chinese ones break within 3 months and the starter always sounded like crap, new SFI flexplate was way better quality and you can hear the starter sounds better.

Good stuff there Josh.
Exactly what I did when I (needlessly) replaced mine! (It turned out to be a rod knock, Doh!)
It was a while ago, but it seems to me the toughest part of the job was the removal of the starter.
Didn't have to totally remove it. Just had to get it outa the way. It fought us the whole way, both in & out.
And the truck was on a hoist.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
josh thats backwards, the v8 has less tall than the 6. 4.3 is 2200

and as everyone say bpull your driveshaft and use a longer stud on the bottom bolts and just pull everything back, with a little effort itll come off and the new one will slide back in.

Behind a V8. I was meaning the stock 4.3L convertor. Isn't it less behind a 4.3, I could be thinking of this wrong!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

SFI Certified is certification given to parts that meet certain criteria to be used in racing, meaning they are better quality, better built and can take a beating!

I bought mine at the local racing parts store, he has them in stock at all time, roundy round guys use have to use them and they are now using Vortec 350's, Make sure you buy one for a one piece rear main engine, older 2 piece cranks use a different flexplate.