Engine swap or fix the 4.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd just spend the $75 in parts and an afternoon replacing the intake gasket. I'm doing one this weekend. They are pretty easy compared to swapping the motor.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Intakes are quick and easy but the knock bothers me... I don't want to put a bunch of work into getting it running right if it's troubled.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the knock is coming from the rear id be willing to bet you have a cracked flexplate. Check from underneath and listen to the bellhousing area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the knock is coming from the rear id be willing to bet you have a cracked flexplate. Check from underneath and listen to the bellhousing area.

Yup... That's it. I'll pull the cover off tomorrow and double check but that's where the noise is coming from. Neat, guess I get to pull a trans :nono: Might as well throw a converter at it while it's off. What's stock stall?

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
I'm an upgrade kind of guy myself. :)

I was in your situation once before. My truck came with a v6 5speed. The v6 was still solid but fouling the #1 plug. As someone has mentioned already, I started putting together a 355 on the side picking up a few things here and there and doing machine work a piece at a time. Waiting for stuff to show up on craigslist that I needed for the right price. I ended up running that v6 for another 2 years before I finally did the swap and it was no different at that time than it was when I bought it. It never did give up, I just finally pulled it out.

After a coulpe of 355s and 12 years I'm now up to a vortec headed 383. The difference in my case might be that I did not have an automatic transmission therefore I did nothing with the computer. The truck still has a v6 computer in it. It just isn't hooked up to anything. I run a carburetor, an HEI dizzy, and a mechanical fuel pump. I'm upgrading right now to a race built TH400 which will also not need a computer. :)

I guess your experience level and comfort making changes has to factor in to your decision as well.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Yup... That's it. I'll pull the cover off tomorrow and double check but that's where the noise is coming from. Neat, guess I get to pull a trans :nono: Might as well throw a converter at it while it's off. What's stock stall?
I also bet its a cracked flexplate, sounds just like what mine was doing. Pull inspection covert then start truck, i bet you can see it wobbling.

Tip, use long 3/8's bolts in the bottom two trans bolt holes so you can just slide the trans back. no messing with re-lining up the dowels or anything, just pull drive shaft, remove cross member, remove all 6 trans bolts, add 2 long bolts in bottom, remove 3 torque convertor bolts and slide it back.

Hoist helps alot, i did one in my driveway in a day, hoist with BSing at same time was 1.5 hours.

If you ever plan on doing a V8 swap, just keep the stock convertor, it is about 2200RPM behind a V8 and about 1900RPM behind a V6 IIRC.

I for one wouldn't bother with a 305 if you ever end up doing the swap, 305's are only about 10-20 more HP then the 4.3L, if you are going to do it just go right for a 350, i honestly cant see any reason to go 305, i bet the 350 gets just as good MPG.

I have done the 4.3L to SBC swap, pretty straight forward, alot of people think engine mounts are the same, they aren't, you will need engine and frame ones, fan shrouds are different, rad is most likely the small one unless you have extra cooling options of some sort. other then that it is very basic, V8 and 4.3L share same accessories, starter, flexplate, sensor's, etc. the TBI unit is the same just needs the injectors swapped (You can swap whole pod if you like) and then just find a PCM for the 350/Auto.

PS- spring for a SFI Certified flexplate while in there (around $75), I had one of the cheap Chinese ones break within 3 months and the starter always sounded like crap, new SFI flexplate was way better quality and you can hear the starter sounds better.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
josh thats backwards, the v8 has less tall than the 6. 4.3 is 2200

and as everyone say bpull your driveshaft and use a longer stud on the bottom bolts and just pull everything back, with a little effort itll come off and the new one will slide back in.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
+1 on the sliding the trans back. I have had to do this on 2 of my trucks. Its much harder on a vortec with a full circle bell housing tho.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad I could be of some assistance. Hope that does turn out to be your problem as its cheap and easy. I cant tell you how many trucks ive seen for sale with "rod knock" that turned out to just be a flywheel. These trucks are prone to the cracking and even disintegrating.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PS- spring for a SFI Certified flexplate while in there (around $75), I had one of the cheap Chinese ones break within 3 months and the starter always sounded like crap, new SFI flexplate was way better quality and you can hear the starter sounds better.

SFI?

josh thats backwards, the v8 has less tall than the 6. 4.3 is 2200

and as everyone say bpull your driveshaft and use a longer stud on the bottom bolts and just pull everything back, with a little effort itll come off and the new one will slide back in.

So V6 is 2200 and V8 is 1800 ~ ?