Engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. Hope all is well. I need some opinions. I have recently acquired a complete built 383 stroker engine. A friend of mine was having it built at a local performance shop when his shop at his house burnt to the ground. Thing is the 84 shortbed squarebody that the motor was going in, burnt also. Anyway that's how I got engine.
My question is, do ya'll think my 2000 K2500 could handle the 383 engine? Mine has a NV4500 manual tranny and according to the vin number it has 4.10 gears. Now obviously I don't know what kind of hp this new engine will be putting out. But the shop that built it is a very reputable shop. It has a hi rise manifold with a big holley carb so it's basically an old school engine. But I imagine it'll be strong. I'm just afraid my old truck can't handle this engine with my foot behind id.
Tell me what ya'll think. Or potential problems I could encounter.

Thanks, Scotty

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll need to use the flywheel that fits the crankshaft. Is this a one- or two-piece rear main engine?

You aren't planning to use the carb and "hi rise", are you? You'd have to knock the fuel pressure down. Don't forget to set the truck's clock back fifty years.

What transmission/transfer case/axles were used with the 7.4L? If it'll take a big-block, it'll surely stand up to a 383. But if your truck isn't equipped like that...no promises. Truthfully, I'd expect no problem with a 9.5 semi-float axle. No idea on your front diff. I don't know what transfer case a small-block got compared to a big-block. And the 4500 transmission should be stout enough, but I'd want to verify clutch condition.

Make sure your radiator and cooling fan are in good condition.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really need some more info. It really depends on what that 383 is and what your intended usage for you truck is. A high compression cammed up engine is not necessarily suitable for a daily driver tow pig.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has an NV4500, even if it's a 9.5 14 bolt, ur not gonna kill it. I'd suggest going back to EFI, carbs are a PITA. With the modern EFI and ECMs out there today, you can make the same power as with a carb. And get better drivability and mpg to boot.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you guys very much. That is what I needed. A dose of reality. Because I don’t want to be the guy who puts a high hp engine in, then everything thing else goes to ****. And I’m not that good of a mechanic. So I think we’ll be leaving the ghost alone. All or mostly stock is looking pretty good. If I keep the engine I think I’ll try to find a c10 or something like that to put it in.
Anyway thanks again.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
A nice S10, Malibu (wagon:head3:) or something else lighter weight than our full size trucks would give you the most smiles per gallon with your 383. And if you get hooked on the thrills and decide to go crazy, your 2500 would make a great tow vehicle!

And if your friend can't rattle off what he's had done to the engine (which doesn't make sense), the reputable shop should be able to tell you if you say "hey, my friend (who ever) had a 383 built by you guys, and fell on hard times. I got the engine from him and I was wondering what exactly I have here?"

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The machine shop should have a record. if it's a 9.5ish build it could possibly be detuned a bit with a cam change etc to make it suitable if you depending on what's in there.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It really depends on how and what purpose that 383 was built. I’m assuming it was a daily driver/pleasure vehicle so most likely it wasn’t built for high revving race track work. If you have a 454 I dont see any reason for you to go to a 383.
I would rather go up to a 502

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really depends on how and what purpose that 383 was built. I’m assuming it was a daily driver/pleasure vehicle so most likely it wasn’t built for high revving race track work. If you have a 454 I dont see any reason for you to go to a 383.
I would rather go up to a 502

Yea, I don’t have a 454. Currently a 5.7 with 215000 mi. On her. But anyway, I nixed the engine swap. I traded the 383 for a 4 wheeler. (Man is that a redneck swap or what)?
I would love to find a truck for sale with a 502. I’ve only ever seen one. I worked with the guy. Man that thing felt like it would pull the world.