Engine Offset 1990 SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBenn

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly how far the engine is offset to the passenger side? I'm fabricating all new motor mounts engine side and frame side as well as a new trans mount for my Tremec 6 speed. I'm coming up with measurements between 2-3" of offset. The frame is incredibly difficult to pull measurements from becasue of it's lack of symetry. Thanks!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I may be able to look up a 93 SS and get those measurements from an engineering print if you want me to.

Edit:

I pulled the blueprint, and unfortunately I don't have measurements but have the part numbers that make up the frame. No insights past that. I apologize.

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I'd give the guys at American Powertrain a call, they should be able to guide you in the correct direction even if you're not using one of their trans packages.

www.americanpowertrain.com/

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I always recommend getting the engine in place making sure that you have proper clearances THEN make the motor mounts.

If you are using factory motor mounts with the rubber inserts in them you can use these and not have to make the engine side.

They are a bit smaller for header clearance and they are fancier too!

JBenn

Reaction score
I may be able to look up a 93 SS and get those measurements from an engineering print if you want me to.

Edit:

I pulled the blueprint, and unfortunately I don't have measurements but have the part numbers that make up the frame. No insights past that. I apologize.

Thank you for looking much appreciated!

I'd give the guys at American Powertrain a call, they should be able to guide you in the correct direction even if you're not using one of their trans packages.

www.americanpowertrain.com/
That's a good idea, I didn't think about that. Been working with Bowler so I may give them a call first then AP if Bowler doesn't have the info.

JBenn

Reaction score
I always recommend getting the engine in place making sure that you have proper clearances THEN make the motor mounts.

If you are using factory motor mounts with the rubber inserts in them you can use these and not have to make the engine side.

They are a bit smaller for header clearance and they are fancier too!
I'm using 1/4" thick Moroso block side mounts and the rest is all fabrication. I still have to make the tabs that connect the frame side to the motor mount side but I need to get it all mocked up before I make them. Everything is hard mounted as I'll be doing some autocross and road coarse driving.

Those UMI mounts look nice....in all my searching I'm not sure how I missed those. I might have bought those instead if I had to do it over.

Just need that factory offset measurement so I can get the centerline perfect for the rear axle pinion alignment.

Attachments

• Motor .jpg
    Motor .jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
oh in that case Moser or Strange should have that listed on their site. I want to say it is 1.5" PS. let me double-check that I needed the same measurement because I am building a 9" rear axle eventually for my truck.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Per print of the rear axle, there is no offset. The measurements are exactly symmetrical from d/s to p/s.

JBenn

Reaction score
Per print of the rear axle, there is no offset. The measurements are exactly symmetrical from d/s to p/s.
I went and pulled 2 measurements off the centerline of the engine block to the frame. First one infront of the front cross member and the other behind the front cross member. They both came up with the engine centerline being offset 1" toward the passenger side. I set up the tail shaft output of the trans offset 1" to the passenger side and ran a string line from the tail shaft down the middle of the chassis(1" offset to pasenger side). I took measurements every 2 feet and got a consistant 1" offset.