Engine Fire Need some harness help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave5701

Reaction score
Have a 92 GMC shortbed. Pretty much everything redone. Chevy perf 383, 4L80E, Electric fans, Fitech everything was fine. Had a fuel injector hang open, torched everything on driver side. I think I can recover but since that is where main harness comes in from dash, it is just copper wires now. I have not messed with tharnesses much and dont know if the firewall bulkhead is a connector or just a pass thru. It looks like a connector but I dont want to start prying on it since it is kinda melted and brittle. What is my best approach here? I saw a post on some connectors in the dash and just loosen dash screws to get to them. Dont know if I have that option or if everything connects at firewall/bulkhead. I have a wrench-a-part site here and can go there and get what I need. Just not sure how to approach this.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
There is a screw in the bulk head connector and the connector separate's into 3(?) separate harnesses at the connector. If my memory serves me correctly,, I think that there is one for the lights, one for the engine and one for the power distribution on the fire wall. It has been a while since I have pulled all of the wiring out of the bulk head connector. If some one else does not chime in I can grab a wiring harness manual and look it up if need be.

ShawnB

Reaction score
that is how my 89 is layed out...sadly, i have not found any quality replacements other than going aftermarket.

i have a BP 350 crate, fitech and this harness doesnt run much anymore...but i am also waying options to replace it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dave5701

Reaction score
From ShawnB pic, it looks like there is a screw in the middle of that bulkhead harness block. Is that right? So take out that screw and the 3 harness cables are accessable?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Correct for the driver side; loosen screw in the middle, then you can pull the connector away from the firewall. It's got some tar-style goo weatherproofing in it so even without fire damage to battle, it can be tough to separate it, just takes some wiggling.

The connector is an assembly of 4 separate harness runs that lock together like a puzzle piece, but you disconnect it at the firewall as all 1 assembly. Then with a pick you can reach in and pop the tabs loose that hold them together. Well, before any fire damage, anyway. Just a tip for when you're hunting at the boneyard for a replacement.

Richard

Dave5701

Reaction score
Correct for the driver side; loosen screw in the middle, then you can pull the connector away from the firewall. It's got some tar-style goo weatherproofing in it so even without fire damage to battle, it can be tough to separate it, just takes some wiggling.

The connector is an assembly of 4 separate harness runs that lock together like a puzzle piece, but you disconnect it at the firewall as all 1 assembly. Then with a pick you can reach in and pop the tabs loose that hold them together. Well, before any fire damage, anyway. Just a tip for when you're hunting at the boneyard for a replacement.

Richard
Thank You ThankYou THANK YOU!!! I was so bummed on this I was not sure if I even wanted to try. I can do this.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thank You ThankYou THANK YOU!!! I was so bummed on this I was not sure if I even wanted to try. I can do this.
It's no biggie. The driver side wiring is mostly everything other than the engine controls. It's fuel pump, wiper motor, cruise module, headlights/turn signals, horn, etc.

I used to get a lot of requests for passenger side harnesses at the salvage yard since that's engine controls; they are more often hacked, burnt, or need replacing because someone is doing an engine swap of some kind. The year differences in them vary a lot over a short number of years.

Driver's side, you probably have some more flexibility in what years you can look at for donors. Your truck being a '92, I'd look at '90-'94 trucks for donors. You can even mix/match as needed with the individual pieces that click together into the 1 big connector. For example the headlight/turn signal harness run varies depending on if you've got the base model two large sealed beams, or quad sealed beams (88-89 Silverado), or composite headlights (90-up.)

Richard