Engine died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my fuseable link, and alt where the wire conects. When mine burnt, it fried this whole wire. I took this one off of a Burb in the salvage yard. Just so you can see what I did and how I did it. In time, I will do the big 4 up grade. I am running a 680 watt amp, pushing 1 Sony Expold 10 behind the rear seat
You must be registered for see images attach

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
engine also started after leaving it on the charger a while but then soon died after start

Ok, so your electrical system seems ok. How long does the engine run before it dies?

The next thing I would look at is the distributor. The distributors on these motors are notorious for having issues with the bearings wearing, the pickup cracking, and the module dying.

The ECM needs a signal from the distributor to issue a spark command to the ignition coil. My guess is that you are not getting spark from the coil due to the distributor not functioning properly, or something is up with your cap/rotor.

You'll need to pull the distributor cap off and check for corrosion. When you have it off, check the rotor as well. The ignition module is held in by two screws. You can pull that and have it checked at an auto parts store. You should also pull the pickup coil while you're in there and check it. They are prone to cracking.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so your electrical system seems ok. How long does the engine run before it dies?

The next thing I would look at is the distributor. The distributors on these motors are notorious for having issues with the bearings wearing, the pickup cracking, and the module dying.

The ECM needs a signal from the distributor to issue a spark command to the ignition coil. My guess is that you are not getting spark from the coil due to the distributor not functioning properly, or something is up with your cap/rotor.

You'll need to pull the distributor cap off and check for corrosion. When you have it off, check the rotor as well. The ignition module is held in by two screws. You can pull that and have it checked at an auto parts store. You should also pull the pickup coil while you're in there and check it. They are prone to cracking.
i replaced the coil yesterday and it didn't fix anything so i took it back and could the cap and rotor cause the motor to barely turn at all? mine seems like it has no power at all to turn it over it doesn't crank very much at all just acts like a dead bat

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The slow turning is probably your battery dying from trying to crank it over. If you charge the battery and it cranks fine, even if it doesn't start, then the battery is fine. You have an electronic issue of some kind, and will take some testing to find it. You'll need to familiarize yourself with some of the problems these trucks are notorious for. You'll also probably need a magnifying glass and multimeter to find the issue. Check the dizzy and let me know what you find. The cap and rotor are probably ok, it's the other components of the distributor that I mentioned that will likely need checked.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its simple. Is the engine getting fuel ? is the engine getting fire to the spark plugs ? is yes, and yes, then is the spark in time like it needs to be. Is number 1 spark plug firing when the number 1 piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke ? If all of this checks out, then there is not an issue with fuel or ignition. If you are not sure how to do these checks, you tube has a lot of videos that will show you how. Sntrym has a point about running the battery down by trying to crank it.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its simple. Is the engine getting fuel ? is the engine getting fire to the spark plugs ? is yes, and yes, then is the spark in time like it needs to be. Is number 1 spark plug firing when the number 1 piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke ? If all of this checks out, then there is not an issue with fuel or ignition. If you are not sure how to do these checks, you tube has a lot of videos that will show you how. Sntrym has a point about running the battery down by trying to crank it.
i know it's not fuel or spark because the motor isn't getting enough power to turn it over. it's not like it's cranking and not starting it is really just barely cranking if at all. it'll crank a tad every now and then but it's too dead to turn it over fast enough

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A week starter can do this, but there is no reason for the truck to die from a week starter. I hate to keep repeating the same thing again, and again, but it just sounds like charging system, or battery. The easiest way to check this is to get the truck started, then with it running, remove the positive cable off of the battery. If the truck keeps running, the charging system is working, if the truck dies, it is not. If the truck keeps running, a new battery should fix your problem. If it dies, it has to be the alternator or the fuseable link

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A week starter can do this, but there is no reason for the truck to die from a week starter. I hate to keep repeating the same thing again, and again, but it just sounds like charging system, or battery. The easiest way to check this is to get the truck started, then with it running, remove the positive cable off of the battery. If the truck keeps running, the charging system is working, if the truck dies, it is not. If the truck keeps running, a new battery should fix your problem. If it dies, it has to be the alternator or the fuseable link
i tried a new starter today and it still wouldn't turn over. i will try a new battery today i just don't know why it seems too weak to turn over when we evenhook jumpers up to it

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tried a new starter today and it still wouldn't turn over. i will try a new battery today i just don't know why it seems too weak to turn over when we evenhook jumpers up to it
also ran a jumper wire from starter to positive terminal it still seems to dead to turn it over