Engine died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or that is why it is a fuseable wire. When I said mine burnt the fuse I mean the wire itself, as the wire is a fuse designed to melt.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is the the wire that chargers the battery.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the the wire that chargers the battery.
next you suggest me tying a new alternator and possibly the wire? because i don't believe it would be the starter because that wouldn't cause the truck to shut off and i've already elimated the coil so now it's just down to battery and alternator i'm guessing

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You said the alt and bat checked out good, rite. So this wire is the wire that carries the current from the alt to the battery, to charge the battery. If it is bad, the battery can not charge. It is very easy to check this wire with a test light. Like I said, simply remove the wire from battery and the alt. put the wire back on the battery, and the end that was on the alt will should light up a test light, if the wire is good. If it does not light the test light, then the wire is bad. I never just change parts, hoping that it might be that part, with out doing test to see. I am not there to test your truck myself. Maybe I am not being clear enough, so let me say, that before you start changing anything, test it first. If you don't have a test light, they are dirt cheep, or you can even make one your self. If you are not sure how to there are a lot of videos on you tube that will show you how. I am glad to help and lend my knowledge and experience with any member. That is what a forum is all about, but it is easy to be misunderstood. After all you are only reading a post. If you need anything else, just ask.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Come to think of it, you should be able to check the wire with out removing it. As long as the truck is not running, if it is good there will be power at the alt, but if the wire is bad, (burnt) there will not be any power at the alt as long as the truck is not running.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the hole (that the fuseable link made when it burnt) in the water line behind the alt. I took this pic after I removed the alt. View media item 30690e

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the hole (that the fuseable link made when it burnt) in the water line behind the alt. I took this pic after I removed the alt. View media item 30690e
i have a multimeter that i will test the wire with tomorrow and if no luck there i'm guessing the other thing it could be is the whole alt itself that maybe is testing good on bencuh but not on the truck

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a multimeter that i will test the wire with tomorrow and if no luck there i'm guessing the other thing it could be is the whole alt itself that maybe is testing good on bencuh but not on the truck
i tested the wire and it's getting 12v to it so it's working. i bought a new alt and bolted it up the truck won't start it seems like it's not getting enough power to turn over and the gauge is reading the battery is almost dead so i hooked up the charger and gonna let it charge for a while and see if that fixes it

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is why I said it could be the fuseable link. Watch the video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A shorted fuseable link, can make a connection sometimes, and shake itself loose as you are driving down the road, and loose its connection, and not charge the battery. You might want to try testing the wire with your ohm meter and shaking the hell out of the wire and pulling on it, to try to make it fail if there is a short. The fuseable link wire can be replaced with a wire, and a fuse, but it would need to be about a 100 to 125 amp fuse depending on what amp alt you have. Here is a good video on alternators and how they work. The video is about doing the big 3, big 4 upgrade. This is adding several very large wires so that the alt can charge the battery much better and faster. Anyone using a large amp to push a sub woofer should do this upgrade.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media