Engine died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I doubt the ignition coil is an issue, I was just offering an anecdote.

I would go with an earlier suggestion of putting a new battery (or charge yours up) and see if it turns over faster. If it does turn over faster, I would look to the alternator as the problem. If it doesn't, you either have a battery issue or an internal engine issue.

Bad alternators kill batteries and bad batteries kill alternators. You should get both checked at some point.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt the ignition coil is an issue, I was just offering an anecdote.

I would go with an earlier suggestion of putting a new battery (or charge yours up) and see if it turns over faster. If it does turn over faster, I would look to the alternator as the problem. If it doesn't, you either have a battery issue or an internal engine issue.

Bad alternators kill batteries and bad batteries kill alternators. You should get both checked at some point.
went and got the battery and alt tested both are good what should be my next step? cap button and coil? or starter

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that sounds like a sensor shutting down the engine to prevent damage. Oil pressure, crank sensor, cam sensor, IDK.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
update: could didn't fix the problem it sounds to me like the alternator is bad but it tested good? is that possible for one to be bad and test okay? because the truck started ealier and then died right after just like a bad alt would cause? the truck died while running just like a bad alt would do but i'm confused on why it tested good but seems bad. the little nut and bolt that goes on the back of it directly from the battery is loose and when someone jiggles it while i try to crank it almost starts

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That wire is also a fuseable link. It can burn out, and will not charge the battery. It may need to be replaced.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to replace mine . I had to get one at a salvage yard. I couldn't find one locally.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. If it burns, it can still look ok, but be bad. It wont charge the battery. You will need to replace it, if it is bad. The reason it is there, is so that if the alt sticks in full charge mode, it will over charge the battery and could even cause a fire in the battery. When mine burnt, my alt did this. The wire got so hot before it burnt the fuse, that it melted the aluminum water line it was touching behind the alternator. I have also had them burn out on me, and they look like they are still good. You could take it off of the alternator and see if there is power coming from the battery with a test light.