Engine died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I had the same issue. It was one of my wires to the injectors. It was pinched between the collar and the TB. Once I found that it went back to working like normal.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have also had this problem before. Battery and alternator were fine. It turned out to be corrosion in the battery cables. The connections looked fine. But as soon as I peeled back some of the insulation I could see how corroded the cables were. Changed the cables and truck started right up and ran fine.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i thought i had it fixed last night i put a new battery on along with the new alt and it seemed to fire up and work great so i cut it off and drove it jut a little ways today and it died going down the road. it would slowly crank and then quit cranking acting dead again. i also noticed i was getting no power to my amp at all so my subs weren't working. could this be an electrical issue causing all the problems? fusable links look okay but the starter is very very hot and i noticed there are no shims. could no ships be causing that starter to stay in gear all the time burning it up causing it to shut off?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No shims wont matter. Some times it is not necessary to shim the starter. As for the fusable link, It can still look ok and not be good. Just as a test, you may want to use a jumper wire to go from the alt. to the battery, and see if this fixes it. a AWG 8 ga wire should be big enough. You do not want to leave this wire in place unless you put a fuse on it.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No shims wont matter. Some times it is not necessary to shim the starter. As for the fusable link, It can still look ok and not be good. Just as a test, you may want to use a jumper wire to go from the alt. to the battery, and see if this fixes it. a AWG 8 ga wire should be big enough. You do not want to leave this wire in place unless you put a fuse on it.
i already tested the cable from the bat to the alt and it's getting 12v so it's not that and that wouldn't explain why my starter is getting red hot

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So your starter is getting hot ? I don't remember reading that anywhere. Pull the starter and have it tested.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is otis testing?
do what now? all i know is i took it to advanced auto and they said the starter tested good. i replaced the starter with a whole new one before the new battery and alt and it didn't change anything so i took i back should i try a new starter with the new battery and alt and see if that helps?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, we are not there to see for our self what the truck is doing, and we can not run test on your truck as we are not there to do so. All we have to go by, is what you post. The more details you put in your post, the better we will be able to help you. I am 58 years old, and have been a mechanic @ 2 dealers. I have owned a GMT 400 sense 1999, and have owned the one I have now sense 2004. I know these trucks very well. No one works on my truck but me. I am a welder, and have been for over 30 years, but like I said I do all my own mechanic work my self, except for things like alignments, and tires.