Engine cranks and fires then dies, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help and Suggestions' started by Burban117, Jul 26, 2020.

1. HotWheelsBurban

HotWheelsBurban Burbs are great!

OK cool let us know how it goes once you're done. I didn't go the resistor route cause I didn't want to tear into the column. But cranking up fine and then shutting fuel off after 2 seconds is EXACTLY what Passlock does when it's working. Or more to the point, what it does gradually more often, and eventually all the time, when it's NOT working...... I have also read on here from longtime members who have done the resistor thing, that eventually the resistor has too much resistance to work properly. Seems to me that a lot of electrical stuff is made to work for X number of duty cycles and then it quits. Electronically deleting the Passlock function from the computer with a tune is like removing an app from your phone. Once it's gone, it's gone until it gets put back in the same way. Which I wouldn't do unless I had a new control box and a known good spare one.....
    Unfortunately not everything is easily obtainable for these trucks! I do understand the resistor is much cheaper than the tune though!

2. Burban117

Burban117 Newbie

No luck it still just cranks, fires, and then immediately dies. The security light never flashed

3. Burban117

Burban117 Newbie

What else would cause the injectors not to work, relays to check, fuses, wires that could have shorted

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  4. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

Until you check it for codes, wondering what's wrong is kind of pointless. Assuming it has no codes just because it immediately stalls out is potentially snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

It SOUNDS like Passlock is giving you the blues. I'd try to rule that out first before swapping a bunch of other parts.

There are PCM codes related to Passlock, and BCM codes as well - obviously you won't be reading BCM codes with any simple scan too, but you should be able to pull PCM codes with any OBD2 reader.

Richard

5. mattillac

mattillac Lurker

From the relearn procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    • If the PASSLOCK(TM) sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    • If the EVO/PASSLOCK(TM) module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    • If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    • If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Seems as though it would be passlock realated (pcm disabling your injectors), I believe that the security light staying ON constant is indicating a problem.

Example of something which might cause a solid light would probably be a open connection between the body control module and the lock cylinder.

Remote start electronics (if vehicle has/had one) are typically wired in between body control module and lock cylinder.

6. Burban117

Burban117 Newbie

Well I appreciate all the help guys, I ended up taking it to the mechanic. He said there were no codes to read almost like the computer had been reset. I'm waiting to hear back now, I told him about the security feature and he said he'd look into it.

Thanks again for all the advice I'll keep you posted

7. Pinger

Pinger I'm Awesome

You can hot wire the fuel pump by removing the relay and using a jumper lead between connections 87 and 30. Then, the pump will run continuously until you remove the jumper. Doesn't cure the PassLock problem but helps confirm it as the source of your grief and gets the truck running where you are otherwise stranded. Just don't blame me if it screws something else up.