Engine carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
[
You must be registered for see images attach

Truck was running rough, done a compression test to find cylinder 3 and 5 were wounded, upon tear down I found a blown head gasket that burned a crater into the block and head

fml

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be able to surface the block, but that head is probably toast. May be money ahead with a long block, depending on the mileage and what you have available locally. That probably stems from overheating and progressed to what you have there.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Be easier to get a new head, but can fix that one. I did the same thing but much worse, was welded then machined flat again.

pieceofchevy

Reaction score
bought a chev van with a 350 in it and the heads were blown so bad the exhaust manifold was welded to the head and both the heads were cracked don't drink and drive pissed.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to the "crate engine" I stuffed into my K1500. Popped the head gasket between 3 and 5, blowtorched the block and head.

I think mine is worse than yours. The heads aren't worth fixing. I've got no use for swirl-port junk. The block may or may not be too far gone to zero-deck. It's sitting on an engine stand, quietly rusting.

sbump

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, when you say cylinder 3&5 were wounded, what values were you getting. I am suspecting I may have the same issue. I have a noticeable misfire at idle. I am picking up misfires using a scanner app on both 3,5,6 but I do not have a code or check engine light.My readings below. Truck is a 1998 K1500 5.7 with about 150K miles. Plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, and coil, have all been replaced in the last year. Performed fuel pressure check and fuel leak down test and found no issues.

Cylinder PSI
8 -152
6- 128
4 -140
2 -150
Cylinder PSI
7 -148
5 -138
3- 120
1 -150

Last edited: