Engine bogging down under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I have a 94 K5 Blazer 2 door and recently did a tune up on it with new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. While I was doing this I also took the TB off and cleaned it out. Now the reason I went and did this was that sometimes while acceleration from a stop sign or light (flat or up hill) the truck will stutter, or bog down and act like it is either not getting enough gas or like it is flooding out. A couple times the truck has chugged and backfired out the TB.

I have read many of you have had this problem. Here is what I am going to do this weekend.....check the timing, look for arcing on the plug wires, check the EGR valve and look for vacuum leaks.

This truck is all original with 185,000 miles on it. The only real mods I have done is replaced the constricting air intake, and added the throttle spacers. Those mods I did 13 years ago. This problem is recent in the last 6 or 7 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Step one is to pull the trouble codes and see what is stored in the ECM.

My initial though is IAC, but there's a process to follow before getting to the point of throwing parts at it...

Edit: your TPS sounds suspect considering your other thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?18906-High-idle-when-starting-engine

The ECM should have a stored code if it is out of range.

Is the TPS slotted? It may need adjustment is it is. Some are not adjustable, some are. Depends on what you have on the TB...

Last edited:

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will be sure to try these things out and will let you know what I come up with.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Coil could not be firing enough. I wanted to burn my truck to the ground because I could get it running right and it was just the coil. And it was firing. Just not enough. Just a thought. Good luck.

Also checked for plugged exhaust and clogged fuel filter.

Chago

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem on the exact same vehicle lol. Did you ever solve this issue?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its the ignition module bros. Simple 100 dollar fix, without going through all the sheit mentioned above.

Chago

Reaction score
Thank you sir! Ima give it a shot this upcoming week