Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Smith

Reaction score
I'm having similar problems with my 90 Silverado. Brake lights & turn signals are fine .Just my gauges. Oil pressure jumps around. And, on occasion, when I turn the lights on, all gauges (except Speedo) go away. And the dash lights are very dim at all times. I have no idea where to start. The main ground, from the battery, goes to the intake. There is a small wire that grounds to the fender. Should I check for an engine to frame ground? Any suggestions on where to start on the inside is very much appreciated. I'm new to this forum. Is a previous thread about aftermarket gauges & sending unit locations available?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having similar problems with my 90 Silverado. Brake lights & turn signals are fine .Just my gauges. Oil pressure jumps around. And, on occasion, when I turn the lights on, all gauges (except Speedo) go away. And the dash lights are very dim at all times. I have no idea where to start. The main ground, from the battery, goes to the intake. There is a small wire that grounds to the fender. Should I check for an engine to frame ground? Any suggestions on where to start on the inside is very much appreciated. I'm new to this forum. Is a previous thread about aftermarket gauges & sending unit locations available?
The ground wire from the firewall to the rear of the passenger head. Make sure it's there and clean and tight. Also check the smaller ground wires on the top of the motor that go into the main wire harness. Those smaller grounds that go on the intake are actually the grounds for the gauges as odd as that sounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Free-burger likes to **** all over the electrical system in these trucks. I'm on my second GMT400 and haven't had any issues with it. Then again, I keep my vehicles as stock as I can and each new one I acquire I go through and clean up connections like others have illustrated. Almost any 30 year old vehicle is going to start having problems. Can you imagine what a 2019 Silverado would be like in 30 years? Phuuuck that. I like to browse Reddit for their Just Rolled Into the Shop page and I saw something about a month ago in which lightening struck a 2016? Silverado on the antenna mast or something. It fried every module the thing had, yet insurance still fixed it, to the tune of something absurd like $20K or more. I think they had to cough up over $10k in parts alone, electronic parts mind you! Give me bad grounds or insufficient wiring any day over that B.S.

EDIT: Thanks to Urambo Tauro for posting the link to the actual truck below!

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I remember that one. Here's a link to the follow-up post with the grand total (>$38k).

WOW! Yet the stupid insurance company totaled my 2004 (in 2006) Malibu because I hit a deer... the car was still completely drivable and the doors opened/closed. I'd probably still have that car today if it wasn't totaled.

Jim Smith

Reaction score
The ground wire from the firewall to the rear of the passenger head. Make sure it's there and clean and tight. Also check the smaller ground wires on the top of the motor that go into the main wire harness. Those smaller grounds that go on the intake are actually the grounds for the gauges as odd as that sounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Thank you! At least I have a place to start looking. Today, all gauges, except oil pressure, worked fine. Until I turned the lights on. They all went down and the dash went dark except the turn signal arrows that came on & stayed lit, constant. I may need to look into the aftermarket gauges after this. Thanks again!