EGR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome!

To my knowledge none of the handheld programmers available for our trucks are able to enable/disable EGR operation, although I haven't looked in a few years. If you want to own something with that capability you're going to want to look into full featured tuning software for a laptop PC, such as EFILive or HPTuners. Word of warning though, there's a steep learning curve and those solutions are expensive.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGR is turned off in my tune on my 98. I am running a 0411 PCM tuned by Lextech. The EGR itself is still in place. Is there anything to be gained by physically removing it from the engine?

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing you will gain since it's tuned out is you would never get a vacuum leak from it. Right now it's just plugging the hole basically. Well hopefully lol

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGR is turned off in my tune on my 98. I am running a 0411 PCM tuned by Lextech. The EGR itself is still in place. Is there anything to be gained by physically removing it from the engine?

Just cleans up the engine some. You get to remove the big ugly valve on front of the intake and the ugly pipe running along the driver side from intake to manifold.

Reaction score
I am going to block off Exhaust manifold port for now until my headers show up, and block off intake manifold hole, leave EGR in place with it plugged in and see what happens. I still have the good exhaust to intake tube in case off off idle pinging.

What the heck didn't cost anything so why not. The benefit is that less heat transfer to intake, less soot collection, better intake air to fuel ratio. I think that labor for me is the only loss, and there is better efficiency at no cost on new rings sealing combustion chamber. I will keep PCV system anyway for negative crankcase vacuum, but add a inline valve cover breather on other side of engine for obvious reasons.

Thanks Troop!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still have the good exhaust to intake tube in case off off idle pinging.

Keep in mind that the pinging may be so miniscule that you won't notice it unless you hook up a scanner. Many people say they've removed EGR without a computer tune and never noticed any ill effects, but we have some reputable members here who have confirmed them via datalogging scanners. You will get a constant check engine light at the very least.

better intake air to fuel ratio.

I could be wrong but I don't believe removing EGR will effect air/fuel ratios on a computer controlled vehicle at all. It will reduce intake temps and carbon buildup, but the injectors are still controlled by the PCM and constantly adjusted based on sensor input.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Less underhood clutter
Keep in mind that the pinging may be so miniscule that you won't notice it unless you hook up a scanner. Many people say they've removed EGR without a computer tune and never noticed any ill effects, but we have some reputable members here who have confirmed them via datalogging scanners. You will get a constant check engine light at the very least.

I could be wrong but I don't believe removing EGR will effect air/fuel ratios on a computer controlled vehicle at all. It will reduce intake temps and carbon buildup, but the injectors are still controlled by the PCM and constantly adjusted based on sensor input.

You're correct, no change to afr. It just adds timing. I we would be interested to try it on a stock engine and tune just to see how much kr it causes on 87 and 91 octane.