Ecm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a 96 Yukon 5.7. I’m using the harness and engine in a 97 2500 Chevy. Can I tune the ecm to the 4l80 in the 2500? If so who has a decent priced tune? Trying to stay in my budget which isn’t much. I already know I have to change the tranny pig pins out and add the speed sensor so last thing on my list is the ecm!! Motor and harness is going in tomorrow

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but finding someone who tunes the '96-'97 black box PCMs isn't the easiest thing to do. Black Bear Performance can do it, they tuned the PCM in my red '97 when I 4L80E swapped it. Their tunes are around $350 IIRC.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but finding someone who tunes the '96-'97 black box PCMs isn't the easiest thing to do. Black Bear Performance can do it, they tuned the PCM in my red '97 when I 4L80E swapped it. Their tunes are around $350 IIRC.
I was afraid of that. I found a ECM on a refurbished site that has one programmed to the vin of the truck for 150$

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
350$? at that price you can buy a tune kit yourself.
Yeah, then spend a couple years learning how to tune properly :33:. No offense but, when you start playing with VE, SA, AE, PE, as well as trans parameters, it's a big learning curve. I'm doing it for fun and only with TBI engines, I don't even mess with trans parameters. You screw up with that and you can break stuff:mad:

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) $350 is cheap!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
350$? at that price you can buy a tune kit yourself.

The cheapest tuning solution for '96-'97 PCMs that I'm aware of is JET DST at $400, and that's for the old version that needs an ancient computer with a serial port to run. It looks like they're charging over $500 for the new USB version. You may be able to get what you need from TunerCAT for cheaper but I've never priced it out. Those are the only two options I'm aware of and from what I understand they're pretty much the same product. The '98+ PCMs are supported by more modern software like HPTuners, '96-'97 are not unfortunately.

I just looked up Black Bear's prices and you can get a tune from them for $305. I paid extra to keep my factory PCM as a backup. Still a decent amount for sure, but Black Bear has been great to work with in my experience. They've changed my tune several times for free. They even put a different tune on the factory PCM that I kept later on for no extra charge.