Dual Exhaust Systems? What Did You Go With?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last one i did was on a 80s chevy, but it was a Hearttrob kit that was pretty much free to me.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...I have a GMT400, which is a 1996 GMC ShortBed... Anyone out there go with a nice dual exhaust system they could recommend? A nice mandrel bent 2 1/2" dual setup with tailpipes of some sort. Muffler(s) that is semi quiet?

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know yours is a different body, I had a dual exhaust on my 98 the front half came stock as duals. So either convert what you have, or buy a kit to help with converision.

Are you wanting a TRUE dual set up, or dual tail pipes? What kind of money?

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Looking for brands that will allow me to assemble a "true" dual exhaust system. The system begins at the engine with tube headers.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
You're not gonna be able to get the cat-back part of the system too easily if you want to do a bolt on true dual exhaust system. You could go with something fairly cheap for headers such as summit's headers, but personally if you're gonna do it.. do it right and get stainless, which becomes much more difficult to find.

I went with a cat-back system however and chose a flowmaster system. I certainly regretted it. Not loud enough, the stainless steel was rusting, and the customer service was less than desirable at times (excellent at other times I must say though)
If you want something not too loud though, the flowmaster sadly might be the only thing to fit the bill. I think the magnaflow system has a muffler that is too quiet.

I'd really recommend the magnaflow 14" muffler. That's what I went with in the end of my exhaust nightmares and I'm really happy with it.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody else recommend a source or vender/brand name that they have put together a true dual exhaust system with? Stainless not necessary.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy some nice sounding mufflers and have a shop make the system for you.

I like flow master super 10's and 40's .

Run the suoer 10's on both my trucks. I love them.

Dmgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well when I tried getting my local muffler shop to do it they wouldn't because of springs on the manifolds or something.. decided I'd just do it myself and its turning out pretty good! Kinda a ***** to get everything just right though