Dual battery solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1/0 or 0/0 wire is pretty expensive by the foot to put it anywhere else when GM was nice enough to leave an out-of-the-way space for it right under the hood.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1/0 or 0/0 wire is pretty expensive by the foot to put it anywhere else when GM was nice enough to leave an out-of-the-way space for it right under the hood.

Actually the wire is pretty cheap, this is what I used and it’s been great
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually the wire is pretty cheap, this is what I used and it’s been great

Not a bad price, just keep in mind that 25' doesn't go very far when you start going around things and snaking it through the firewall.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a bad price, just keep in mind that 25' doesn't go very far when you start going around things and snaking it through the firewall.

Well it was enough to do big 3 upgrade and my second battery setup

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any reason to use the solenoid rather that a diode isolator?
I guess the way I understand what you are trying to do with the diode will only allow the second battery to be charged. It will not allow the second battery to assist the first battery in it's duties. Is that correct? If so, the same is the draw back. You will not have the batteries working in conjunction with each other. Each battery will only take care of it's specific job.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess the way I understand what you are trying to do with the diode will only allow the second battery to be charged. It will not allow the second battery to assist the first battery in it's duties. Is that correct? If so, the same is the draw back. You will not have the batteries working in conjunction with each other. Each battery will only take care of it's specific job.

It seems like if there were an issue with the primary starting battery, you could just jump the two with a pair of jumper cables.

I can't imagine that's the only issue with the diode type isolator. Seems like a lot more people go with the solenoid rather than the isolator.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
ACDelco 6MX95FS GM Original Equipment Positive Battery Fuse Block Cable and ACDelco 12135196 GM Original Equipment Multi-Purpose Relay is what I got for my truck. Amazon, don't remember exact prices, may 100.00 for both.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems like if there were an issue with the primary starting battery, you could just jump the two with a pair of jumper cables.

I can't imagine that's the only issue with the diode type isolator. Seems like a lot more people go with the solenoid rather than the isolator.
I guess you could do that. Pop the hood, dig around in the truck to find the tangled up jumper cables, make the wife get out to hold the flashlight for you, attach the clamps, wiggle them around hoping they make a good connection, walk back around and get in, turn the key to try and start, watch one of the clamps pop off, get back out, hook the clamp back up, get back in, crank, start it up, get back out, unhook the cables, close the hood, throw the cables back in the truck to wind them up later, drive on down the road. If that happens to me, I just push a little button on my dash and it closes the relay and both batteries are hard wired together, great connection every time, crank it up and away I go. Simple as that.

I don't see any other draw back to using just the diode. Unless you want more amperage and power supply when you're running the winch. My winch will run engine on or off. If it's off, I know I'm not running the main battery down. If I need a bit more onion, I just leave the engine running. I guess there may be some advantages to it.