Drum Resurfaced Finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sooo, thats a yes?

lol, JK, that was some great info that I never knew. I bet that pad arching process would improve a lot of GMT400 owners squishy brake pedal problem whenever that question comes up. Is that something a machine shop does when turning drums or do you just set the adjuster tight and let it wear in faster?
Not many places do it any more, but there are still some out there that do. Usually something that has to be asked for now.
Back when I was turning drums & rotors, it was part of the deal when getting them turned.
Too tight on the adjusters creates heat. 'Snug'-ish gives a better feel at the pedal.
Don't rely on the adjusters in these trucks to take up any slack. Not the best design & they don't work as well as the theory.

On the 1500's, why, why, why are there no adjustment windows on the backing plates??? WHY?
One of my pet peeves about these trucks.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of the ENGINE section and into AXLES + BRAKES

Does this finish look normal after getting drums turned?
Looks rough-as-a-cob to me. I suspect that the drum was first turned with the bit travelling too fast, then the operator covered that mistake up by using coarse sandpaper to apply the "non-directional finish". Both of these operations are cost/time savings, but result in reduced quality.

I am aware that when I take photos, the photo sometimes exaggerates detail that might be hard to see with eyes in real life. So maybe what I'm seeing in the photo is not as horrible in real life.

The guy turning them broke up the "record grooving" with sandpaper or the like after he turned them.
Absolutely. The two problems are that the cut was too fast, and the sandpaper was too coarse.

the first cuts to remove material ( to get rid of grooves and out of round conditions) were faster speed. My lathe only had 2 speeds for rotors, and the slow one was for the finish cut, which should be smoother as the cutting but isn't moving across the surface as fast.
Think in terms of fine threads versus coarse threads....
YES. The groove cut on a rotor is similar to a vinyl record. The groove cut on a drum is essentially the same, starting at the inside and spiraling out to the free-end of the drum.

In both cases, the friction material will want to follow the spiral, like the tone-arm/cartridge/stylus of a record player. When the hold-down springs or pad backing plate won't allow any more movement, the friction snaps back to it's original location. Then it follows the groove again, and snaps back when it can't go any farther.

Coming to a stop results in repetitive noise as the shoe or pad pops back time after time.

Thus the OEMs want a "non-directional" "random" pattern on the braking surface of the drum/rotor, so the friction material has no groove to follow.

In addition to being "non-directional", they also want it smooth. Look at a "new" rotor or drum. They're very smooth.

Photo of "new" versus "original, worn-out" 1998 Monte Carlo rotor. Note that the old rotor got left outside overnight, it rained, the rotor rusted. It didn't come off the vehicle with rust on the braking surface.
You must be registered for see images attach

The machinist probably felt it was still too coarse a surface, so they used emery cloth on it, maybe while hand spinning the drum on the shaft?

Point to all this is, the machinist did a good job, didn't take too much out of the drum either. So you should be good to go....
I disagree. Surface finish is too rough. (Or the photo exaggerates the apparent roughness.)

The rough surface will wear the shoe and braking action may be aggressive, until the shoe wears-down the roughness. Then it'll probably be fine.

The last part of the process was to scuff the machined surface, both drums & rotors, with some 100 grit before removing the drum from the lathe. The random cross-hatching helps to seat pads & shoes against the D&R's.
There was hell to pay if I short-cutted and skipped that step.
Sort of. The "random cross-hatching" isn't intended to "help seat pads and shoes". It prevents the repetitive noise of the shoes smacking the backing plate, or popping against the caliper after following the spiral groove of the machined surface.

D&R's don't get machined as much any more. Easier to toss & replace because of those off-shore producer's cheap-cheap prices.
That also means that they're made cheap! Recycled steel with lots of foreign matter, plus a lower nickel content than those of 30-40 years ago.
It's the nickel content that gives the steel it's strength, durability & resistance to repeated heat cycles. Without that content, the Chinesium parts don't last. Too soft. The pads & shoes eat 'em up, especially with high friction pads/shoes.
The big difference was the adoption of semi-metallic pads on "downsized" vehicles. They needed more aggressive pads to make best use of too-damn-small brake rotors. The semi-metallic pads squeaked. The iron of the rotors was DELIBERATLY softened--became sacrificial--to reduce brake squeal. This got real popular around 1980-ish.

Then the inevitable happened--rotors that were already spec'ed to wear quicker than previous designs, got Received & Duplicated (R & D) in Third World hellholes, so that the replacement rotors today are as crappy as possible.

Rotors are cast iron in most cases, not steel. Or, the braking surface is cast iron, with a steel center. If you look at the photo I posted, the original rotor is "composite"--steel center with iron braking surface, while the "new" rotor is all cast iron. The iron center is thicker than the steel original, but the lug studs are long enough that it doesn't matter. Drums are very often "composite". They take a stamped-steel center, drop it in a mold, then pour the iron braking surface around it. When the iron cools, they pull a rough-cast "composite" drum out of the mold.

Even the OEM GM-labelled D&R's are off-shore-made now-a-days.
Junk.
Yes. And buying "grooved / slotted" "ultra-premium" rotors means they take some junk "white-box" bottom-feeder rotor, spin it up on a high-speed, automated milling machine, and put the result into a four-color custom-printed box, with the decimal on the price tag moved over one place.

I'm hard on brakes. A set of the jobber rotors lasts me about 8 months. So warped, hard braking would shake the S/wheel almost out of my hands. $60.00/pair.
After 20 years of owning 400's, I've gotten pretty good at doing brake jobs on em. It was getting expensive, though.
So...I bought some aftermarket U.S. Made rotors/pads, drums/shoes. The rotors/pads were close to (!) $400.
But they lasted for 9 years. 2 sets of pads & 2 turnings.
That's less than $50.00/year.
The jobbers were costing $90.00/year + pads.
Interesting. I looked all over for quality brake iron for my various vehicles, and never found anything. Most recently, I ended up with ACDelco "Gold" made-in-China junk.

Even so, 8 months on a set of rotors seems...excessive. Sure there isn't a problem with calipers dragging? Rear brakes lasting a really long time? (i.e., front brakes overloaded because rear brakes don't work.)

Even still, no matter how much the parts cost, I always, ALWAYS, get new D&R's machined right outa the box. They go from the parts counter up front to the machine shop out back so there's absolutely no doubt.
I've had some that were so warped straight from the parts store that they could not be turned. So outa whack that by the time the surface was cut down to be nice & even all the way around, they were beyond the max cut spec.
I've returned as many as 3 sets drums & 2 sets of rotors in a row right back to the front counter before I even left the building.
When the machine shop guys brought the U.S. Made stuff back, they told me that they were damn near perfect right out of the box. They were surprised.
I take the rotors / drums out of the box, clean 'em, and put 'em on. I haven't had a problem in forever.

Truth to be told...Communist Chinese manufacturing workmanship included...I have more faith in out-of-the-box brake iron (drums and rotors) being straight, smooth, and true, than I do with most folks turning drums and rotors. It's rare to get a turned drum or rotor with the smooth "factory" surface finish.

I also test fit the brake shoes against the newly turned drums. A check to determine if the shoes need to be arced. A process that matches the brake shoe's curvature to the drum's for best contact.
Valid point, and worth looking at.

The friction will wear to the iron given some time.

Repacement shoes "should" be arced to a larger-than-stock diameter out-of-the-box to compensate for worn/refinished drums. Companies used to advertise that decades ago.

there is no meat on OEM rotors to allow turning them.
There is thickness theoretically available for refinishing.

The problem is that the iron is so soft that the braking surface is often worn beyond salvage.

I bet that pad arching process would improve a lot of GMT400 owners squishy brake pedal problem whenever that question comes up.
Ehhh. Not so much.

The usual complaint on squishy brakes is a result of air in the system, including the ABS unit; and the predictable result of the hateful leading/trailing shoe design being out-of-adjustment. Shoe arcing is a very minor issue compared to those two items. And since shoes will wear to the drum...shoe arcing is of z-e-r-o importance on shoes that aren't freshly replaced.

Last edited:

wildwilly

Reaction score
Not many places do it any more, but there are still some out there that do. Usually something that has to be asked for now.
Back when I was turning drums & rotors, it was part of the deal when getting them turned.
Too tight on the adjusters creates heat. 'Snug'-ish gives a better feel at the pedal.
Don't rely on the adjusters in these trucks to take up any slack. Not the best design & they don't as well as the theory.

On the 1500's, why, why, why are there no adjustment windows on the backing plates??? WHY?
One of my pet peeves about these trucks.
Thanks for all the info. I am confused still. Is this as yes or no or do you need more info?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I am confused still. Is this as yes or no or do you need more info?
If I had any idea what a hornets nest I would stir up .....
This is a K1500, so half ton 4wd. That's probably JB5 brakes, so 10"×2" drums. Blowing the picture up to that size shows a degree of roughness that I wouldn't have let a drum leave my lathe with. Bad thing is, the more you machine one, the more metal you're removing, even if it's just .002" cut. That's still 4 or 5 thousandths of metal that's not there to be used by normal braking action.
What I did back in my day, was measure the piece in multiple spots, to try to see if it was out of round or warped. Bear in mind, they often are. So what I would do, is take a fast cut, but not deep. Just a couple thousandths. See where it's at true wise. Then take another fast cut, small as possible. Keep mic'ing it between cuts. A guy's coming to get his drums or rotors machined, it's likely because he can't afford new ones. So I will do what I can to save as much metal as I can. But this takes time and patience, and most machine shops or parts stores aren't going to have that, if they're very busy. We were a Mom and Pop independent store, in a suburb/bedroom community of Houston, Texas. I didn't usually have many turning jobs until the weekend, and then I'd be busy if the weather was nice. Most of our customers were working on the car in the garage or driveway ( things haven't changed much!). But I'd explain to the customers what I was doing and why I was doing it. Most were okay with that. If you're in a hurry, I'll try to work within that. And if it came out under/oversized, I had that in writing on the receipt, and we both signed off on it. Wrote the finished size on it with paint marker and on the receipt. CYA, and that way everyone can see you're doing your due diligence.

wildwilly

Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures. I am going to stop by another shop tomorrow and see what they think and will report back. I do think the picture is maybe exaggerating things some.

I will get the replacement shoes from Rock Auto tomorrow so I will see if I can check the fitment for radius and post some pics. It sounds like this is something to be aware of but maybe the finish is more important. I posted a few more pics to try to compare it to the Z36 powerstop rotors and calipers I just put on the front with respect to the picture of the finish for comparison. The rotors are a bit "smoother" compared to the drums but still has some "grooves" though a little less than the resurfaced drums.

Yes probably even the power stop comes from China. I am not sure how you would even know or could be sure the part is from the USA or could even search to buy one as such nor if there are any still???? Even the AC Delco (ACD) "gold" drums that seem to be the most expensive do not even say where they are made and I am guessing still China ... especially with a bigger company like ACD as all the executives ( and I know as I work in this type of world ) think that there is no trade off to low-cost countries ... I can say however that at the moment where I work we have one of these lower cost countries going through hyper inflation. At some point you can expect local costs to catch up and was it really worth it in the end ... too many short-term decisions these days .... as all the infrastructure growing and engineering support pains to move things overseas is not easy nor any fun, but a cost that is not captured when big businesses make these types of decisions to move things overseas.

I have had powerstop rotors and Hawk pads in the past and they lasted and breaking was good. The STBC rotors/pads before that were good too. After these I went cheap Carquest's that warped quickly. I put on some EBC pads and rotors next. Stopping was very good but the pads went quick and without squealers to know I killed a rotor. Then I slapped on my old powerstop rotors without any resurfacing and the best ("severe duty") NAPA pads they had. They did last a good amount of time and braking was good too. I do have a mountain drive now and since I moved this truck does go through rotors/pads a bit more it seems now.

Anyway let me know any more opinions on this based on this additional info as it should help.

Attachments

• drum4.jpg
    drum4.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 15
  • drum6.jpg
    drum6.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 14

wildwilly

Reaction score
This is a K1500, so half ton 4wd. That's probably JB5 brakes, so 10"×2" drums. Blowing the picture up to that size shows a degree of roughness that I wouldn't have let a drum leave my lathe with. Bad thing is, the more you machine one, the more metal you're removing, even if it's just .002" cut. That's still 4 or 5 thousandths of metal that's not there to be used by normal braking action.
What I did back in my day, was measure the piece in multiple spots, to try to see if it was out of round or warped. Bear in mind, they often are. So what I would do, is take a fast cut, but not deep. Just a couple thousandths. See where it's at true wise. Then take another fast cut, small as possible. Keep mic'ing it between cuts. A guy's coming to get his drums or rotors machined, it's likely because he can't afford new ones. So I will do what I can to save as much metal as I can. But this takes time and patience, and most machine shops or parts stores aren't going to have that, if they're very busy. We were a Mom and Pop independent store, in a suburb/bedroom community of Houston, Texas. I didn't usually have many turning jobs until the weekend, and then I'd be busy if the weather was nice. Most of our customers were working on the car in the garage or driveway ( things haven't changed much!). But I'd explain to the customers what I was doing and why I was doing it. Most were okay with that. If you're in a hurry, I'll try to work within that. And if it came out under/oversized, I had that in writing on the receipt, and we both signed off on it. Wrote the finished size on it with paint marker and on the receipt. CYA, and that way everyone can see you're doing your due diligence.

OK thansk I undersand ... just FYI ... this K1500 has the larger 11 inch drums.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
To add another pea to the soup, I have heard cryo-treating adds significant life and wear resistance to rotors. Proven by racing teams that are not easy on brakes by any means.