Drop opinions--

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nvr2Low

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With my DD '97 CCSB, what drop do you guys recommend for me, since I will be using it as a DD, and using to pull my 4 wheelers and boats. If I were to do a 3/4 drop, remove the overload leaf to get to 3/5, then add air helper bags, would I bottom out much?? I don't really want to notch this one, but I guess if I have to, I would. Just wanting some opinions guys. Thanks!
--Josh

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
that would do u good up to anything shy of a small car. CCLB is 5/6 and helpers and can tow another OBS without bottoming out...imo

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah with a 3-5 drop and helper bag's, you should have no problem's bottoming out anywhere.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you go to the 3/5, the first place that is going to cause problems, is your box crossmember, right above the rear-end's pumpkin. Some people remove the crossmember. Not a good idea, if your going to use the truck, as a truck. I notched mine. I'll post some pix when I get 'em off my camera. (stupid busy with work, right now) You will have to relocate the brake line, where it's mounted to the top of the pumpkin, so it doesn't get pinched there.
The next place to hit, will be the frame rails, right over top of the rear-end axle tubes. You may need to do a mini-notch on the rails. Dont forget to make provisions for the mounting of some urethane bumpers in there. I see that 'Air-Ride' has some progressive compression foam bumpers, now. I haven't tried those, but have heard good about them.

I strongly recommend a rear sway bar. Totally changes the driveability of the truck.

When I first had my 4/6 drop installed, the truck was damn near impossible to drive, due to the geometry changes with the shock positions. Air-bags completely cured the problem of bottoming out. I actually bent the floor of the box, but it went right back, with a 'pop', when we cut it for the notch. Sure, I could carry 5000lbs, but I didn't like what I was getting, performance wise. Ended up ripping everything out, relocated the upper shock mounts, lost the bolt-in C-notch, & boxed the frame with a proper custom notch. Custom sway bar mounts & end-links. Now the suspension works the way that I want it to. Probably more than what you require, though.

Nvr2Low

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go to the 3/5, the first place that is going to cause problems, is your box crossmember, right above the rear-end's pumpkin. Some people remove the crossmember. Not a good idea, if your going to use the truck, as a truck. I notched mine. I'll post some pix when I get 'em off my camera. (stupid busy with work, right now) You will have to relocate the brake line, where it's mounted to the top of the pumpkin, so it doesn't get pinched there.
The next place to hit, will be the frame rails, right over top of the rear-end axle tubes. You may need to do a mini-notch on the rails. Dont forget to make provisions for the mounting of some urethane bumpers in there. I see that 'Air-Ride' has some progressive compression foam bumpers, now. I haven't tried those, but have heard good about them.

I strongly recommend a rear sway bar. Totally changes the driveability of the truck.

When I first had my 4/6 drop installed, the truck was damn near impossible to drive, due to the geometry changes with the shock positions. Air-bags completely cured the problem of bottoming out. I actually bent the floor of the box, but it went right back, with a 'pop', when we cut it for the notch. Sure, I could carry 5000lbs, but I didn't like what I was getting, performance wise. Ended up ripping everything out, relocated the upper shock mounts, lost the bolt-in C-notch, & boxed the frame with a proper custom notch. Custom sway bar mounts & end-links. Now the suspension works the way that I want it to. Probably more than what you require, though.

Geez, I'm gonna have all those issues by running a 3/5?? lol When I ran my 2/4, I never had any issues at all, and wouldn't have thought another inch all the way around would cause that.
Also, is there any company that actually makes a 3/5 drop?? Everything I've seen makes a 3/4. I would prefer to have 2" spindles up front, and maybe a 1" spring, but I don't know of anyway out back to get 5" other then remove an overload leaf. Will I have any major issues rubbing or bottoming out on anything running a 4/6 on a 20 ft long truck? lol 4/6 is the absolute lowest I'll go, and if it's easier to run it, I know it will look a bit better too, so I could deal with it if I shouldn't have too many issues. Btw, the roads around here, suck! lol Thanks for the info man
--Josh

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an idea for you, static drop the front 4 and instead of running helper bag's in the back, go ahead and run a heavy duty 4 link in the rear with some Slam RE 8's, and then you will already have the rear done for the future, and you will have much better ride quality than you ever would with leaves and helper bag's. Also you wouldn't have to notch the frame until later when you decide to lay it out.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 2/4 drop on my '97. Drives like stock. No bottoming out issues whatsoever. I did the drop, cause I just can't leave things alone, & I hate the stock ride height. I used spindles in the front for the drop, so that it's already for the bags it'll eventually get.

I agree with DRAGGIN95, if you can afford it.

Nvr2Low

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an idea for you, static drop the front 4 and instead of running helper bag's in the back, go ahead and run a heavy duty 4 link in the rear with some Slam RE 8's, and then you will already have the rear done for the future, and you will have much better ride quality than you ever would with leaves and helper bag's. Also you wouldn't have to notch the frame until later when you decide to lay it out.

lol, while it would be awesome, not an option. This truck will always be my DD unless I sell my bagged ECSB and get another daily and reverse the roles of the trucks. I want a great, reliable DD with plenty of room, and this is it! lol So, more ideas please! lol Thanks for makin me want to bag it tho lol

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Antime man, I like to spread the bag sicness!, but if I wanted to stay static dropped I would do 2 in. spindles in the front with a 1 in. spring for 3 in drop up front, and then do a flip kit with 1 in. lift shackels in the back for a 5 in. rear drop, I ran that exact rear setup for year's and it worked great.

Nvr2Low

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Antime man, I like to spread the bag sicness!, but if I wanted to stay static dropped I would do 2 in. spindles in the front with a 1 in. spring for 3 in drop up front, and then do a flip kit with 1 in. lift shackels in the back for a 5 in. rear drop, I ran that exact rear setup for year's and it worked great.

Thats probably exactly how I got about it as well. Who makes the best parts for that setup?? Since it will be pieced together, I would prefer the best stuff.
Thanks man
--Josh