Drop / Handleing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some questions about how I want to static drop my truck, the front anyway. I want between a 4-6" drop in the front but I also want to be able to handle and not have camber/caster issues. The truck is in my sig. My thoughts were about drop control arms. To me it seems like they'd be the best option but I'm having trouble finding the uppers. Also plan on eventually going to coilovers in the front, I've heard that some Chevelle stuff (not sure exact year) fits our trucks perfectly. What would be my best option for gettin that low but handeling as best as a big block truck can? Advise/ new ideas welcome, specially off the wall stuff.

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
I have some questions about how I want to static drop my truck, the front anyway. I want between a 4-6" drop in the front but I also want to be able to handle and not have camber/caster issues. The truck is in my sig. My thoughts were about drop control arms. To me it seems like they'd be the best option but I'm having trouble finding the uppers. Also plan on eventually going to coilovers in the front, I've heard that some Chevelle stuff (not sure exact year) fits our trucks perfectly. What would be my best option for gettin that low but handeling as best as a big block truck can? Advise/ new ideas welcome, specially off the wall stuff.

From my experience the best way to lower a truck w/o alignment issues is to use spindles and springs. I know there are alot of guys out there running lowered lca's with no issues as well. I can't comment on lowering with the big block, I'm sure the spring rate on the drop coils are higher than the small block.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm ok with doing springs and spindles, my problem is will to much of a lowering spring (>2") cause camber issue? and I've heard that spindles will push the wheels out, is this only for some spindles or all spindles? I also just like the idea of Tubular control arms, for looks, weight savings, and strength. I guess what I'm asking is are the LCA and/or UCA worth it?

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have spindles springs. When I first lowered it, I used 454SS specific 2" springs and 2" bell tech spindles (454SS uses a 2500 series spindle - back then BT produced a different spindle for an SS, which is what I have). I drove it that way for several years, but didn't like how the front appeared higer than the rear (almost a reverse rake - see pics below). A good friend had a set of small block 2" springs, so I tried them. Essentially I got an extra inch in the front.

In the rear, I have a 6" BT flip kit, 2" rear shackles, and removed my overload springs.

Of course all this was done over the course of almost 20 years. I lowered my truck in 1992. Back then you couldn't buy LCAs. I have never had a tire wear problem or alignment problem, so never felt the need to get a set.

You must be registered for see images

Just for comparison, here is a day one photo:

Last edited:

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I'm not a fan of the reverse rake. I want the rear wheel to have almost no fender gap and the front to be tucked. That's my goal as far as stance goes. I think I'm gonna have to go way down in the front though. I'm thinkin maybe 5 or 6 or even 7" just to get the look I want.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From experience, I can tell you about both ways. I originally did my 4-6 with DJM lowered CAs, a 2" spring (which I later cut and extra half coil from-it rode better too)and KYB shocks in the front, and a flip kit in the rear (also DJM). Had to roll the fender a little all the way around and had no rubbing problems. I do remember fighting the alignment for a bit, but finally got it to go where I wanted it. Road like a Caddy and handled like a Vette-a 4500lb Vette, but a Vette none the less. Was very happy with it. I do remember not liking the look of the steering link BJ spacers, but installed them anyway. One of them snapped off at 70+ MPH going around a corner and left me stranded in the middle of the night (not to mention a couple guardian angels with multiple contusions). I took them off the next day and lived with the slight bump steer for a couple years. About two years later one of the arms snapped just driving down the street. DJM wouldnt honor the warranty (even though I had been working for a DJM dealer when I bought them), and as I didnt have the time or money to buy another complete set, I picked up a set of spindles from a friend. They were Bell Tech and I was aware (from the many trucks I had lowered) that BT spindles spaced the wheels out a bit, but it was all I had. They rode great, handled great, aligned great and had no bump steer. But even rolling the fenders more (and tweaking them out as much as possible, I had rubbing issues. This isnt a problem with other brands of spindles. The reason that BT did it (and, for the life of me I cant understand why they wont admit it) is because when the lowering craze started back in 88-89 with our GMT400s, the biggest custom wheel readily available was 16". And spacing the wheel out a bit made trimming the stock LCA minimal. They just never re-engineered them.

If I were to do it again (for myself, that is), I would definitely go with the spindle/spring (non BT) and never look back.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I'll will eventually do a set of coilovers on the front. Will the new Control arms mess with this? May not even be possible for me to run the LCAs anyway.

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats why my tires rub bad!! damn BT spindles, maybe its my 255/70s on the 4/6 drop im on lol

did some LCA's on my buddies NBS sierra and they are nice to say the least.

what spindles don't make my wheels stick out?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would also suggest running 2 in spindles with 2 in drop big block spring's, I have lowered many truck's this way including big block truck's and I have personally driven lowered truck's for several hundred thousand miles, I have never had any problem with getting a good alignment. Like mentioned above if you run belltech spindles they push the wheel's out 1/2 per side, I have 2 truck's with them right now. I have ran many set's of DJM spindles with no problem's and I have heard good thing's about McGaughy's also. Either way I can't wait to seepics of your truck dropped!