Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Shoooot it’s been a month since the last post, did the transmission shop give you any news?
This buddy deal **** is really wearing on my nerves. I wouldn't know where else to take it if I wanted to, though. At the moment it's warranty work anyway but just thinking about "next time" ...

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, got the call yesterday that the truck was ready but couldn't pick it up til today. Everything seems fine. Able to shift into low gear (would go about halfway and jam without engaging the gear, before) and had a weird buzzing/grinding/dunno how to describe it noise when coasting or decel at highway speeds in 5th. Both symptoms are gone. She's nice and smooth now..
You must be registered for see images attach

Decided to finally address the fuel gauge. On the trip to drop it off at the transmission shop it started trying to stall out. I thought, WTF NOW? Then realized it showing around 3/4 on the gauge meant it was probably running out of gas. Dashed into the next station and threw a few gallons in. So when I picked it up today, I went straight to the nearest station and filled it up full - it took 28 gallons plus whatever I'd put in on the way up there. When full, it reads WAY past full, but the needle does go down as the tank empties.

So what to do? Naturally, hack it. I popped the lens off the cluster and re-pinned the needle to just below the full mark. I'll keep an eye on it and see how much it takes to fill up at various points in gauge reading and see if it's anything close to accurate now.

Back at home takin' up space in the driveway, adding to the 3-ring circus any time I gotta move vehicles around. Anyone wanna buy a truck.. :anitoof:

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Woohoo! Did they give you any real reason for why it had to come back? Because they didn’t really do anything the first time?

:Nonono: Not allowed to leave the club now.
I meant that crummy gmt800, actually..

And ehhh, they gave me a "transmission shop" reason. I don't know all the inner workings of an nv4500 so it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well can you repeat the words?
Nope. Some mumble mumble this or that, stuff that didn't make any sense, and I was barely half-awake so it's gone from the noggin now. Some part they thought was good, but clearly wasn't, so it got replaced. Weird thing is, it went into low gear fine before I dropped it off the first time - it was just the 1-2 shift grind which is so typical of nv4500's, the reason it went for work. At this point I'm so worn out over the subject I was just ready to pick the damn thing up and test drive it, catch all the gears, go highway speed to see if the weird noise was gone, etc. and since it's all working now, I'm happy as I'm gonna allow myself to be about it.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This buddy deal **** is really wearing on my nerves. I wouldn't know where else to take it if I wanted to, though. At the moment it's warranty work anyway but just thinking about "next time" ...

Richard
It's a no win situation I think. If you don't do business with your friends they might be offended. If you do do business with them and it goes sour, there still can be hurt feelings for you or them.