Driveshaft Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, shopping for the 2 piece ds for my '94 Silverado ext.cab, 4L60E, 2wd, 5.7L.
Dorman lists a 1st design (986-124) "without flange on center support bracket" or
2nd design (946-054) "with flange on center support bracket". The center support
bearing on my truck has the housing built on it that bolts to a crossmember.
What is this "flange" they are talking about? Which one is applicable to my truck? PS, I just sent this question to Dorman as well.
Thanks, Robert.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would not want a driveshaft from Dorman. Dorman's quality in general is questionable. I'd look for a stock shaft from a yard, even if you've got to order it from out of state.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After replacing all the u-joints & center bearing in my oem shaft a vibration started. Had it balanced twice, still no joy. Gonna try a "new" shaft, fingers crossed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
After replacing all the u-joints & center bearing in my oem shaft a vibration started. Had it balanced twice, still no joy. Gonna try a "new" shaft, fingers crossed.

Did the two pieces get reassembled 180 degrees off from each other?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the two pieces get reassembled 180 degrees off from each other?

Was the U-joint at the companion flange "marked" and later re-assembled with the same orientation?

Have you tried flipping the orientation 180deg at the companion flange? I've seen it happen.... made much more difference than I ever thought it would.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this problem after replacing the bearing; turns out I had messed up the roundness of the shaft where the splines are somehow (heat and hammering were involved). It was able to be fixed by a driveshaft shop.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this problem after replacing the bearing; turns out I had messed up the roundness of the shaft where the splines are somehow (heat and hammering were involved). It was able to be fixed by a driveshaft shop.
can fix this with a triangle file usually in about 2 minutes if it was mushroomed

really need to press these and not hammer

Last edited:

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can fix this with a triangle file usually in about 2 minutes if it was mushroomed

really need to press these and not hammer
The front shaft is master splined to the trans & the rear shaft is master splined to the front shaft. So it can’t be clocked out. I did turn it 180 at the rear pinion flange, not much difference.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front shaft is master splined to the trans & the rear shaft is master splined to the front shaft. So it can’t be clocked out. I did turn it 180 at the rear pinion flange, not much difference.
I believe what others are referring to as far as the "180 degree flip" is that when reinstalling the yoke on the rear driveshaft with the U joint you could have turned it so the master spline is no longer in the same orientation (thereby throwing off the balance of the shaft, although having it balanced should have fixed it if this was the case). To reverse this would require removing the U-joint and flipping the yoke around.