Driveshaft problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twithers

Reaction score
So I recently picked up the 88 single cab short bed Chevy.

A previous owner had installed a turbo 400 tranny, but didn't install the right driveshaft.

Needless to say the driveshaft is too short and has caused damage to the tail cone of the transmission.

Has anyone done this Turbo 400 install and how did you solve the driveshaft length issue?

My current options after replacing the tail cone and crossing my fingers that nothing else inside the tranny is damaged seem to be:

-Take my driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have them cut and lengthen my driveshaft to the needed 61 3/4", which looks to run about $200-250.

-Find a longer driveshaft somewhere and have the shop cut it down to length. It would seem that after buying the driveshaft and having it cut down, it wouldn't be much less expensive than the lengthening job.

-I found a tail cone from a turbo 400 "long tail" that runs 9 5/8", where the stock I think is 4". Could I just put on the long extension, since I need to replace the tail cone anyway?

Are there any better options out there?

(I don't think I've said the word shaft so many times since I quite the **** biz.

mistaake

Reaction score
So I recently picked up the 88 single cab short bed Chevy.

A previous owner had installed a turbo 400 tranny, but didn't install the right driveshaft.

Needless to say the driveshaft is too short and has caused damage to the tail cone of the transmission.

Has anyone done this Turbo 400 install and how did you solve the driveshaft length issue?

My current options after replacing the tail cone and crossing my fingers that nothing else inside the tranny is damaged seem to be:

-Take my driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have them cut and lengthen my driveshaft to the needed 61 3/4", which looks to run about $200-250.

-Find a longer driveshaft somewhere and have the shop cut it down to length. It would seem that after buying the driveshaft and having it cut down, it wouldn't be much less expensive than the lengthening job.

-I found a tail cone from a turbo 400 "long tail" that runs 9 5/8", where the stock I think is 4". Could I just put on the long extension, since I need to replace the tail cone anyway?

Are there any better options out there?

(I don't think I've said the word shaft so many times since I quite the **** biz.

lol what about just putting a 700r4 back in? the th400 is a better transmission but you will get better mpg with the 700r4.

twithers

Reaction score
I don't have the original tranny, It was removed multiple owners ago.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Lift it. Alot. Then just use the longer shaft.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
get a new driveshaft made, if you take an old one to a good dhop for them to lengthen theyll laugh at you for wasting your money on a second drivehsaft that is unuseable. always get the proper drivehsaft made when swapping trans combos/lifting etc