driver's power seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnmedic

Reaction score
Well got in my truck the other day and was tooling around with my brother-in-law. Going down a hill and tap the brakes and my power seat decides to move forward, reach down hit the power switch to back it up, locks up and stays put for a moment then goes forward again. WTH is going on with my seat. So stop to get gas and increase my trucks value by 100 dollars or so since I am on empty. While I was pumping gas and getting smokes my seat takes off forward. So the motor is screwed up, can I just get a motor from a salvage yard or do I just need to be looking for some new seats, I like the power option on my seat and wouldn't mind a power seat for the wife on the passenger side as well. BTW my truck is a 96 ecsb with the tan cloth interior. Any suggestions on fixing or just looking for replacements?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
U sure its the motor? Sounds more like u got some wiring shortin out or sumthin. Maybe a power lead is crimped tween a bracket?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got in my truck the other day and was tooling around with my brother-in-law. Going down a hill and tap the brakes and my power seat decides to move forward, reach down hit the power switch to back it up, locks up and stays put for a moment then goes forward again. WTH is going on with my seat. So stop to get gas and increase my trucks value by 100 dollars or so since I am on empty. While I was pumping gas and getting smokes my seat takes off forward. So the motor is screwed up, can I just get a motor from a salvage yard or do I just need to be looking for some new seats, I like the power option on my seat and wouldn't mind a power seat for the wife on the passenger side as well. BTW my truck is a 96 ecsb with the tan cloth interior. Any suggestions on fixing or just looking for replacements?

Could be the switch too....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Try swapping in a different seat switch. They've been known to fail.
For the passenger seat, A set of power tracks should just bolt in, but you'd have to mount the switch. The bracket for that is already there, just have to cut a small hole in the fabric. A small hole. You can make it larger in small amounts until the switch fits. Then run your power & ground wires.
When you get the electrics for the passenger seat, also get the harness with the quick-connection, plus at least 6" of the wires on the other side. That way way, you don't have to hard-wire the seat's power & it makes it a lot easier if you ever have to remove the seat

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try swapping in a different seat switch. They've been known to fail.
For the passenger seat, A set of power tracks should just bolt in, but you'd have to mount the switch. The bracket for that is already there, just have to cut a small hole in the fabric. A small hole. You can make it larger in small amounts until the switch fits. Then run your power & ground wires.
When you get the electrics for the passenger seat, also get the harness with the quick-connection, plus at least 6" of the wires on the other side. That way way, you don't have to hard-wire the seat's power & it makes it a lot easier if you ever have to remove the seat

Really?? Add a set of tracks to the JY run list. Are you able to use ds brackets for the passenger side?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I don't think so. It may work, but I've never tried. Driver's seats take more use & abuse than any other seat in the vehicle, so the chances of some type of malfunction would be greater with one. If you're going to do this, I would stick to a passenger seat track just for the simplicity of a direct swap.

tnmedic

Reaction score
Man I must have been tired when I posted this never even thought the switch would go bad, duh, guess I know what I am doing tomorrow- here I come pull a part