Drive Shaft Carrier Bearing Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I have a 1998 GMC C1500 ECSB 5.0 4L60E. I've previously posted about a driveline vibration and a hesitation/ clunk feeling on take off. I've decided that the rubber is wore out on my carrier bearing, causing the driveshaft to have play in it.
So I call my local Autozone about a carrier bearing assembly and all they stock is the rubber cushion. Then I tried O'Reilley's and all they stock is just the actual bearing. What I think I need is the rubber cushion, how hard is it to change it out or does the carrier bearing assembly even come apart? Thanks for your help!

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i would just replace everything. with my luck it be the opposite part that is bad or it will go bad shortly after. i would believe that it does come apart since they sell the rubber piece, and if you think that is enough then go for it.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I got a carrier bearing awhile back and it is all one piece. To get the bearing off the shaft you are going to need a press b/c they are pressed on to the shaft.