Double Din Install Tips Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all! So the list of improvements is growing on my ol 98, and I have, on the way, a new Double DIN Pioneer Stereo and Backup Camera.

My 98 came with the Slave CD Player in the pocket under the HVAC Controls, but I recently gave it away as I did not have the original Delco Head Unit when I bought it, rendering it useless to me. The connector for it is still there, but I was wondering if anyone had a pinout for it, so I could see if I could get Switched 12V and Ground from it. Now, I am assuming that the connector for the Slave CD Player is still live (meaning it is still receiving power).

The Pioneer Headunit I got has a feature where I can turn on the camera without the truck being in Reverse, so I want to be able to use this as it will come in handy. This requires the camera to have 12V power to it, and if I wire it to the reverse lamps, I won't get constant power when the truck is on (only when I am in reverse).

So does anyone have a pinout for the connector for the slave CD Player? I can't seem to find anything on Google.

If not, am I able to connect the camera's 12V lead to the stereo's Switched 12V and Grounds behind the Head Unit?

Also, for anyone who got these installed, how did you run your reverse trigger wire? Is there anywhere inside the vehicle I can connect to that can tell the Head Unit when I put the truck into Reverse? I know some guys have gone directly to the reverse switch on the transmission itself, but I want to try to keep it inside the truck if I can.

Thanks in advance guys!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't have the factory radio or the slave CD player itself, then the slave CD cable isn't connected to anything. Wiggle it around a little and the whole cable will just come out of the dash. It just bridges the connection between the factory Delco head unit and the slave unit, all power that runs over it is provided by the factory radio.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have the factory radio or the slave CD player itself, then the slave CD cable isn't connected to anything. Wiggle it around a little and the whole cable will just come out of the dash. It just bridges the connection between the factory Delco head unit and the slave unit, all power that runs over it is provided by the factory radio.

Ah ok! Thanks!

So in this case, to power the camera on a switched 12V, it would just be best to pull the 12V Switched power and Ground from the stereo wiring harness off the truck itself (basically splice it together)?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah ok! Thanks!

So in this case, to power the camera on a switched 12V, it would just be best to pull the 12V Switched power and Ground from the stereo wiring harness off the truck itself (basically splice it together)?

Never done one myself, but that seems like a logical choice. I can't imagine that it draws much amperage.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Reverse wire was green wire on drivers post by the windshield, it runs to the backup cab lights on my 1997.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reverse wire was green wire on drivers post by the windshield, it runs to the backup cab lights on my 1997.

The job isnt done yet, so finishing tomorrow. I couldnt find any sort of information on this, nor could I find anything to probe. I went and got some 16ga wire and ran it with the harness for the camera, and am going to tie it in at the back of the truck at that harness.

It looks great and works awesome, so I can’t wait to get it done, just gotta run the wires under the truck (already in wire loom protector and wrapped in black tape), hook it up and hook the parking brake wire to the parking brake, tidy up the wires and such behind the head unit and it is good to go.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Here is a pic I stole off another post on this site.

purple-wire-splice-png.46446

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic I stole off another post on this site.

purple-wire-splice-png.46446

Oh wow, I never thought to look there.

The job is done. It looks and works great!

https://imgur.com/gallery/GiWcK

I went Head and ran the reverse trigger to the back of the truck and used the rear light harness (Lt. Grn. Wire). I plan to spray the bezel black and get some short small black screws to hold the bezel up. Other than it being tight behind it, it works great. Thanks for the help guys!

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wish I'd have seen THIS thread prior to posting my question. Looks terrific.

What did you use to secure the usb plug in the opening under your head unit? Looks very nice. I'm hoping to install mine this weekend, and will post pictures upon completion.