Door spring roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have the door roller drop out and the spring go launching? Happened to me today, luckly the roller with the splined stud fell in the fender and the spring fell on the ground. Ended up welding the stud back in from the door side as the stud hole was wobbled out and the splines were worn also. Got about half of it welded around, other than taking the door off or fender, no way to reach on the truck. Put the spring in a vice to compress it and tied it with wire to it get back in.... never had this happen on any GM vehicle I've owned over the last 40+ years

Doug in P.R.:cool:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's happened to probably half the GMT400's ever made ;)

I don't think I would go crazy welding that roller back in. A tack weld should be all it takes.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone have the door roller drop out and the spring go launching?
ROFLMAO. Man I remember when that happened to me. I didnt know I could get a new pin, so I went to pull-a-part and pulled one off of the passengers side of a junker. My pin broke rite where the roller is. So this was several years ago, and that junk yard one is holding up just fine. That mental pic of that spring flying,,,, priceless. Just glad it didnt hit anybody, that could have hurt. There is a tool to remove that spring. Its dirt cheap at you local auto parts store. The first time I fooled with that spring, I compressed it in a bench vise and tied some very strong string to it, put it back in, and cut the string. The tool makes it much easier.

Last edited: