Door latch issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok so my 89 K2500 needs a door latch on the drivers side and I have been searching junkyards but every one of them on the 1500,2500, and 3500 trucks have been either taken or broken (or the cab is so smashed I can't find out).

I did however find one in a 96ish suburban. Are all the GMT 400s door latches the same?

Also where I can I get new door pins for the passenger and driver door for this truck? I am guessing that is why the doors are sagging when I open them like my old ford does.

I need to get the doors to be able to lock and shut right before parts start missing off my truck because I park the truck in the backyard and live around a lot of thieves.

thanks for any help

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AZ still has parts stores right....lol.. that is where you will find the door pins. Or many places on line sell then aswell by application..

By door latch are you talking about the actual latch in the door jam area or the actual handle part you use to open the door..

Handle can be gotten at the parts stores aswell, not sure bout the actual latch though as I've never looked. But they are availible at lmc truck for sure..

sent from what use to be a great country...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, they're the same across all years of the body style. You're going to have to look hard to find one worth using though as the driver's door latch takes the most wear; the lip where it contacts the striker starts getting chewed up pretty quick once the hinge bushings go bad.

You can get new bushings and pins at the auto parts store in the Dorman line but the quality is kind of sketchy. See if you can get them from the dealer, OEM. They'll cost a little more but will be better.

If the bushings have been let go for too long there will also be wear in the hinges themselves where the small end of the pin sits. It's an interference fit and when the bushings are really bad the pin will egg out the hole, so even after you do new bushings and pins, there will still be slack. You can fix this by replacing the hinges (expensive, and lots of work to do right) or with a simple tack weld. Leave the retaining clip off the new pin, carefully jack the bottom rear corner of the door up with a block of wood under the flat area (don't bend the edge) to take the slack out, then clean the paint off the hinge right next to the pin, tack a little bit there to keep it from moving, and you're done. Don't go crazy there as if you ever need to remove it there is not much room to work so you can grind out the weld.

Richard

Reaction score
Yes, they're the same across all years of the body style. You're going to have to look hard to find one worth using though as the driver's door latch takes the most wear; the lip where it contacts the striker starts getting chewed up pretty quick once the hinge bushings go bad.

You can get new bushings and pins at the auto parts store in the Dorman line but the quality is kind of sketchy. See if you can get them from the dealer, OEM. They'll cost a little more but will be better.

If the bushings have been let go for too long there will also be wear in the hinges themselves where the small end of the pin sits. It's an interference fit and when the bushings are really bad the pin will egg out the hole, so even after you do new bushings and pins, there will still be slack. You can fix this by replacing the hinges (expensive, and lots of work to do right) or with a simple tack weld. Leave the retaining clip off the new pin, carefully jack the bottom rear corner of the door up with a block of wood under the flat area (don't bend the edge) to take the slack out, then clean the paint off the hinge right next to the pin, tack a little bit there to keep it from moving, and you're done. Don't go crazy there as if you ever need to remove it there is not much room to work so you can grind out the weld.

Richard
That is what I needed to know. I found one in perfect condition on a suburban. The dealer up here only carries stuff for the next body style trucks. I will have to look and see if the hinges have worn out to if I can't pick up a cheap set of hinges I will do a weld thing. My neighbor is a certified welder and has welded in some really tight places (he welded the crop duster plane parts). That is the way he fixed his 98 Chevy 2500s issue.
The truck is going to be torn down to be repainted so hinges are out of the question.

AZ still has parts stores right....lol.. that is where you will find the door pins. Or many places on line sell then aswell by application..

By door latch are you talking about the actual latch in the door jam area or the actual handle part you use to open the door..

Handle can be gotten at the parts stores aswell, not sure bout the actual latch though as I've never looked. But they are availible at lmc truck for sure..

sent from what use to be a great country...

Yes we have parts stores but sometimes I like ordering online. I will have to check oriellys if they have it if not will check rock auto.
The latch in the door itself that grabs the piece and jams up sometimes. LMC yes I can get it from but $120 or so dollars plus shipping is outrageous I will buy junkyard parts first and see where I get.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I bought pins, and strikers for mine from Summitracing, Dorman brand, my door's went from old truck five slam shut, to gently close with two finger's.

Reaction score
Ok so door pins I am looking at are at rock auto cheap and I have used a lot of dormans products and they work decent (beware of masterpro parts though) and the latch I can get from the junkyard for $20 in good shape granted nobody gets up there and gets it before I can.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll just say it one more time, the Dorman bushings and pins are not good and you'll be re-doing the job sooner than later. They work "OK" and that's about it. You can get GM bushings you just may have to do a little searching to find them.

Some Dorman stuff is "OK", and some of it is just plain garbage. Speaking from experience.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting, glad I went with GM parts when I had the hinge pins and busings done on my trucks.

Reaction score
Does GM have a website like ford does for parts? I thought they did since I was going to order some back hatch parts for my moms 04 Envoy XUV.

I lost all my websites that had genuine chevy parts when me and dad built our 85 Chevy G20.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Does GM have a website like ford does for parts? I thought they did since I was going to order some back hatch parts for my moms 04 Envoy XUV.

I lost all my websites that had genuine chevy parts when me and dad built our 85 Chevy G20.

gmpartsdirect.com is the best I found

Sent from my 5.3 powered iPhone