Door glass run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imkwuzn

Reaction score
X4 on OEM if available. I tried LMC and sent them back. Same with weatherstripping. OEM is much better. In fact after replacing my drivers door weatherstripping, I had to adjust the latch outward so I could get the door to close completely. It’s still tight 2 years later.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
Concur that the LMC weatherstripping is super tight - windows are very slow going up and down even with new motors. Contemplated using dry grease in the channels to help, but think I may look into sourcing OEM, as it’s super annoying as is.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, if I change it I will get OEM. Can anyone help me identify the source of the noise for sure? I’ve heard of the dollar Bill test. I just close door over a bill and see if it pulls out easy?

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used all LMC seals recently on mine. Window tracks were a little snug at first, nothing a little Silglide couldn’t help. There are other things that cause noise, moisture barrier behind door panel any good? I replaced mine, and added sound deadener everywhere. Door pins and some work on door alignment are a must with these, as the doors are heavy and get off easily. Just my experience...

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider is the outside mirror. What is the condition of the base mounting gasket for the mirror and is the molded foam insert still in place on the inside of the door that provides access to the mirror mounting points? Just a thought...HTH.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Something else to consider is the outside mirror. What is the condition of the base mounting gasket for the mirror and is the molded foam insert still in place on the inside of the door that provides access to the mirror mounting points? Just a thought...HTH.
Here’s the outside with the cover off. Am I missing something? On the inside I don’t remember there being foam inserts either.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gasket that I'm referring to is between the mirror and the door itself. In your pic, that gasket appears to be in place. However, if the mirror is not secured well it can allow wind to get by the gasket and cause wind noise. There is also a piece of foam like this on the inside of the door that is meant to help keep noise down..

Another thought that I had is; if the windshield was ever replaced and the installer did not get a good bead of erethane along the sides or the bottom edge of the windshield this can also cause wind noise. I have this exact problem with one of my '89's.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gasket that I'm referring to is between the mirror and the door itself. In your pic, that gasket appears to be in place. However, if the mirror is not secured well it can allow wind to get by the gasket and cause wind noise. There is also a piece of foam like this on the inside of the door that is meant to help keep noise down..

Another thought that I had is; if the windshield was ever replaced and the installer did not get a good bead of erethane along the sides or the bottom edge of the windshield this can also cause wind noise. I have this exact problem with one of my '89's.

I think the mirror is good and tight. I’ve had the door panels off several times and don’t remember seeing that foam piece. I don’t see it in my parts catalog either. I wonder if it’s something they added later on.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the 88's and 89's would be the same design. If you find that yours is missing and can't find one let me know, I have a spare...it's yours for the cost of shipping.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the mirror is good and tight. I’ve had the door panels off several times and don’t remember seeing that foam piece. I don’t see it in my parts catalog either. I wonder if it’s something they added later on.
They're in my early 1988 model. Definitely there from the start.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969