DON'T change tranny fluid???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
a flush is what will knock stuff loose and can plug up ports, a filter and fluid change won't hurt anything, i always disconnect the pressure line to the cooler after changing the fluid in the pan with the filter and put a hose from the pressure line into a drain pan, i start the truck for a couple seconds to pump some of the remaining old fluid out of the converter and rest of the trans and then top off the fluid level with fresh and start again to get a little more old out, i keep doing it till i see fresh fluid come out of the pressure line then you pretty much have all new fluid except what was in the cooler which i guess you could have just removed the return line to empty that out too of the old fluid.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a flush is what will knock stuff loose and can plug up ports, a filter and fluid change won't hurt anything, i always disconnect the pressure line to the cooler after changing the fluid in the pan with the filter and put a hose from the pressure line into a drain pan, i start the truck for a couple seconds to pump some of the remaining old fluid out of the converter and rest of the trans and then top off the fluid level with fresh and start again to get a little more old out, i keep doing it till i see fresh fluid come out of the pressure line then you pretty much have all new fluid except what was in the cooler which i guess you could have just removed the return line to empty that out too of the old fluid.

You are doing a flush without a machine you jackass, most machines you dont pump the fluid thru with anything more than the trans pump atleast the half dozen or so machines I have used. I will ALWAYS flush never just drain pan and refill, thats like never draining oil in engine just screwing a new filter on and topping it off. 4-5 qts is 1/4 of what a typical 700R4/4L60E with a cooler holds, most are 16 qt capacity. Its all a myth a healthy trans with old fluid is still going to be a healthy trans new fluid and one that is junk with old fluid you wont ever guess buts is still fu<king junk with new fluid, those are the ignorant morons that created this myth in the first place. "My trans has 200,000 miles on it and I think it started slipping got it flushed and now its junk, the flush must have ruined it." No you goddamn idiot your trans was bad before. Before you start telling me I know nothing about transmissions go away, I was a GM tech and I have build around 10 transmissions including my mildly built 700R4 thats in my 88.

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
FINALLY someone that agrees with me, you wouldnt drain 1 qt out of you engine, change the filter and throw 2qts of new oil in your engine.

you are doing a flush without a machine you jackass, most machines you dont pump the fluid thru with anything more than the trans pump.

I think someone started :drunk: early today.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
You are doing a flush without a machine you jackass, most machines you dont pump the fluid thru with anything more than the trans pump atleast the half dozen or so machines I have used. I will ALWAYS flush never just drain pan and refill, thats like never draining oil in engine just screwing a new filter on and topping it off. 4-5 qts is 1/4 of what a typical 700R4/4L60E with a cooler holds, most are 16 qt capacity. Its all a myth a healthy trans with old fluid is still going to be a healthy trans new fluid and one that is junk with old fluid you wont ever guess buts is still fu<king junk with new fluid, those are the ignorant morons that created this myth in the first place. "My trans has 200,000 miles on it and I think it started slipping got it flushed and now its junk, the flush must have ruined it." No you goddamn idiot your trans was bad before. Before you start telling me I know nothing about transmissions go away, I was a GM tech and I have build around 10 transmissions including my mildly built 700R4 thats in my 88.

using the pump circuit is not technically a flush it is just a full fluid change and would rarely knock anything loose as it is the same as running the old fluid through that circuit, every flush i have seen or used put a cleaner through the trans and then used a pump system to flush out the trans, its the back flow and cleaners that can cause the damage not a full fluid change.

sooo you are 22 and claim to have been a gm tech, come back to me once you have over 30 years in wrenching

yes burned fluid means wear on clutch packs and if worn enough they will still be junk with fresh fluid, nobody has said to the contrary, it is no myth that flushing can cause damage it is fact when you use the cleaners and back flush it can cause damage.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
using the pump circuit is not technically a flush it is just a full fluid change and would rarely knock anything loose as it is the same as running the old fluid through that circuit, every flush i have seen or used put a cleaner through the trans and then used a pump system to flush out the trans, its the back flow and cleaners that can cause the damage not a full fluid change.

sooo you are 22 and claim to have been a gm tech, come back to me once you have over 30 years in wrenching

yes burned fluid means wear on clutch packs and if worn enough they will still be junk with fresh fluid, nobody has said to the contrary, it is no myth that flushing can cause damage it is fact when you use the cleaners and back flush it can cause damage.

ok so my opinion that is the same as a guy i used to work that has been a GM tech fo over 30 years is invalid, also yo are 39 so you have been wrenching since you were 9? I wont ever be a tech again something about charging $80/hour and only paying me $11 that pissed me off. Also all the machines out there are not back fush and you dont need to use cleaner stuff, simple standard flush with Dex VI will not hurt it. I used to dump the cleaner stuff in my used oil barrel, collect sticker, the customer was charged for it regardless if it was used because it was part of a flush, I dont like that stuff and I didnt use it.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
ok so my opinion that is the same as a guy i used to work that has been a GM tech fo over 30 years is invalid, also yo are 39 so you have been wrenching since you were 9? I wont ever be a tech again something about charging $80/hour and only paying me $11 that pissed me off. Also all the machines out there are not back fush and you dont need to use cleaner stuff, simple standard flush with Dex VI will not hurt it. I used to dump the cleaner stuff in my used oil barrel, collect sticker, the customer was charged for it regardless if it was used because it was part of a flush, I dont like that stuff and I didnt use it.
there are many gm "techs" that are clueless and i have met hundreds of them over the years so i have learned to pretty much take all of them with a grain of salt, nothing against you personally as i don't know you its just been the par of the course when dealing with "gm Techs" if that makes me a "jackass" then so be it and i will still be the one fixing "techs" screwups
actually i started when i was 7 and rebuilt my first sbc when 10 and been wrenching on everything from briggs& strattons to harley-davidsons to planes to quad axle dump trucks,so almost 33 years.

<----- that truck there, obama cannot say "i didn't build it" as i did it with a shattered foot in a gravel driveway in the snow, its almost as fun as muscle cars i have owned and built or restored over the years but this gets me in less trouble.

the cleaner solvent is what makes it a "flush" as to flush out the contaminates and varnish, just using the trans pump or a machine to pump in fresh fluid is just a full fluid change and i think that is where people get confused, it's the solvents and machines that back flush that can cause failure of a good trans, the fact that you would not use the cleaner tells me in your mind that that the cleaner solvent(what is usually known flushing) is a bad thing and we agree on that.

$11/hr is not right for mechanics with experience but you had what 2 or 3 years experience at best before you applied(assuming this job was recent) your location makes a difference too i think low pay at a dealer is $15 here, yea that pay sucks but to make the big bucks you need a whole lot experience and not work on gm stuff, you need mercedes or porsche training,something along the more exotic lines the require specialized training, the best money is in heavy diesel or aeronautic repair

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chevy is not as bad as ford for this, ford is horrible and I've personally seen several ford transmissions die from doing this, not sure on their fluid color but it was never done and had around that many miles, no flush either just fluid and filter, and I have seen one chevy do it, that we owned.

The chevy right after the fluid change started acting up, kept pulling, never failed but seemed to not put the power to the ground, never revved like slipping tho, more of an internal bypass.

The fords, were fine at first, then after a month or so, started slipping and completely failed.

The local professional builder said NOT to EVER change ford fluid, new fluid eats them up quickly and he said eats the clutches and bands up, nothing about gaskets and such. Now if they are done regularly then maybe it's alright.

I would drain it, filter the old stuff, and put in a new filter.

I was never afraid to fluid and filter change, but now I am, and a ford I would not.

It' s a real head scrather because some say to do it, others say do not. I am with them, I would hate to only drain some and not all, and I would also hate to not do anything to it since it's reg. maintainence, but it's a heavy and costly choice. New fluid aint cheap, and you need quite a bit of it. A new trans is also not cheap.

I got a dodge van right now we just put a transmission in because my uncle the PO threw in some old fluid he had,(new in bottle) just not the atf+4 or +5 or whatever it calls for, and he burnt it completely up, just a quart or so of new wrong type fluid and it's trashed.

Now I know others may bash but this has been my experience, personally, I'd change it, maybe flush it, and filter for sure, if you do ANYTHING do a new filter, but maybe substitute one quart for a quart of lucas trans fix. I've used it and had great results. My mom had a 98 excsort that started slipping, put in abottle and it was fine for a year or more, started slipping again, put in another bottle and it stopped slipping again. I like it and I use it for preventative maintainence.