DON'T change tranny fluid???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was thinking about changing my tranny fluid & filter on the truck since it's never been done before 170,000miles until i was told by my co-worker not too, somethin about the new oil can ruin gaskets and free dirt particles. have y'all heard this before?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I've heard it. but I've also heard it depends more on the condition of the fluid that's currently in it, meaning if its super gross and burnt and black they say not to mess with it for the reasons you mentioned but I've also heard if the fluid id still good red and not burnt, meaning it hasn't been ridiculously beaten on then change it. but I'm not a transmission professional so I'm just telling you what I've heard I wouldn't go off of my words

Sent from my static android

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's a myth. The NV manuals have a problem if you don't use a very exact kind of fluid, but it would be a good thing to change the fluid in your 4L60E.

Just use Dexron VI. You'll have no problems.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id rather change it and take my chances then not change it at all and burning up a trans

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would change it. if it goes out it was really weak anyways. had a grand prix come to the shop the about 2 months ago, trans wouldnt hardly pull at all. they didnt have any money so we just changed the fluid and filter and it pulled and shifted perfect. far as i know its still pulling fine.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the color of the tranny fluid is burnt black, would y'all recommend doing a filter change while i am down there or could i just do a fluid change?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you're changing the fluid I would change the filter too.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no shifting problems i just wanted to change it. i checked it the other day and was a little worried to find that is was a dark black color