Particles in the brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently replacing all my brake lines in my 1997 Chevrolet K1500 ECSB. I'm almost done replacing everything, but I noticed these black hair like particles in the brake fluid when I was flushing out the front passenger side line. I was wondering what these particles were bc I've never seen this before when flushing brakes.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Could be the hoses shedding their insides.... I'd replace the brake hoses, because if they're coming apart internally, that's not good at all! That leads to calipers locking up and ruining pads and rotors, and s**t catching on fire....ask me how I know this. Been there done that, on my Burb. Replaced both calipers, both hoses, new pads, and upper ball joints (cause when I got it apart, they were bad too) and the ABS sensor and backing plate that c got melted).

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the hoses shedding their insides.... I'd replace the brake hoses, because if they're coming apart internally, that's not good at all! That leads to calipers locking up and ruining pads and rotors, and s**t catching on fire....ask me how I know this. Been there done that, on my Burb. Replaced both calipers, both hoses, new pads, and upper ball joints (cause when I got it apart, they were bad too) and the ABS sensor and backing plate that c got melted).
Holy Cow! I never thought it could get that bad. I already replaced the rear center hose and I thought I could get away with not needing to replace the front hoses. Guess not lol.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For some reason the front hoses seem to fail more often than the rear, but if you're doing the front hoses it's not a bad idea to go ahead and replace that third one out back.

The particles could also easily be any other rubber part in the system, such as seals in the master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc. but the usual suspects would be the hoses.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This would be a great time to upgrade to braided stainless brake lines instead of the factory rubber lines. It'll eliminate some slop from your brake pedal feel. I used a kit from Russell on my red '97, but IIRC there's an even better kit available from some other company. I'll try and find it here in a bit.

EDIT - Think I found it, Classic Tube StopFlex SBH6055. Summit's application guide says these should fit your '97 K1500.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CST-SBH6055

Here's the Russell kit for an '88-'00 K1500, part number 672370.

https://www.russellperformance.com/1988-00-gm-k1500-p-u-front-disc-rear-drum-3-lines-672370.html

Last edited:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For some reason the front hoses seem to fail more often than the rear, but if you're doing the front hoses it's not a bad idea to go ahead and replace that third one out back.

The particles could also easily be any other rubber part in the system, such as seals in the master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc. but the usual suspects would be the hoses.

Richard
I already replaced the wheel cylinders in the back. I also plan on swapping the Master Cylinder from a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe that I pulled from the junkyard last year. Hopefully it's not the calipers.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This would be a great time to upgrade to braided stainless brake lines instead of the factory rubber lines. It'll eliminate some slop from your brake pedal feel. I used a kit from Russell on my red '97, but IIRC there's an even better kit available from some other company. I'll try and find it here in a bit.
Didn't even think about that! Let me know when you find the better kit. I'm really interested!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't even think about that! Let me know when you find the better kit. I'm really interested!

I just edited my original post to include some part numbers. Either one of those kits should work fine for your application. The Classic Tube kit has some hard metal sections for extra support where as the Russell kit is all flexible. I used a similar Russell kit on my red truck a few years back and everything is holding up great.