Dome/interior light switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rawrrr

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have a 95 gmc 2500 I just bought a week ago so I'm pretty new to these trucks.

The dome override button on the left side of the dash stopped working today.

The dimmer control used to turn on the interior lights once I pushed the dimmer wheel all the way up but doesn't anymore. But it still dims the cluster and radio lights. If I manually hit the dome light button on the headliner it turns on. The headlight switch still works fine.

All the fuses look good, so should I get a new headlight/dimmer switch or what?

Thanks

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the dome override button activated?

Also, keep in mind that the buttons on the ceiling assembly only turn on the lamps on either side. The center lamp can only be turned on from the switch panel, or by opening a door.

If the light is still not coming on, pop the center lens off, take the bulb out, and check for power at the socket.

Rawrrr

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply.

First off, for some reason I thought it was the center dome light that turned on when I hit the ceiling button. You're right it was only the side light.

The dome override button is currently pushed in. The interior lights and dome turn on when I open the door or lock/unlock with the key fob.

When I pushed the override button again it would protrude from the switch and the interior lights would come on. But not anymore.

And the dimmer wheel 'dims' the dash/radio lights fine. From what I remember if I moved the dimmer wheel all the way up until it clicked, the interior lights would come on also.

I was only able to turn on the interior lights by the dome/dimmer switch one time since I bought the truck so I'm a little fuzzy on which button/switch did what.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I pushed the override button again it would protrude from the switch and the interior lights would come on. But not anymore.

And the dimmer wheel 'dims' the dash/radio lights fine. From what I remember if I moved the dimmer wheel all the way up until it clicked, the interior lights would come on also.

With the override depressed, my interior lights come on with the keyless entry but not when just using the key to unlock the doors. With the button out, interior lights come on when the door is opened regardless of how it is unlocked.

The dimmer wheel is supposed to turn on the interior lights when rotated all the way up.

I'd guess that you need a new switch. Parts stores carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digdug18

Reaction score
I find that the contacts in those assemblies just need a good cleaning to make contact, as the switch just makes physical contact, and corrosion over time tends to build up. So before you buy something, trying cleaning the switch really well to get down to some bare metal.