Ditching the ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Anyone in here get rid of their ABS? I have a 95 c1500 and eventually want to do disks in the rear and put bigger brakes in. Anyone done this or have any idea on where to start, or is it just a bad idea?

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Well a big part of the ditching it is cleaning up under the hood and getting rid of that ugly ass contraption on the inner fender

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
You'll have to do some weird things with your brake lines and it won't be that much cleaner.
This was on my old truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow that's a big mess. Mines alot cleaner but it's an 88. I removed the box for the RWAl and then want to remove the iso/dump valve.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
wow that's a big mess. Mines alot cleaner but it's an 88. I removed the box for the RWAl and then want to remove the iso/dump valve.

Mine was like that when I got it. Never felt like cleaning it up or removing all the wiring bull **** for it.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I have done this on my 95.

What you do is go to the junk yard and find a 94 model and get all the brake lines from where they connect at the firewall forward. You get the proportioning valve and the the lines that hook into the master cylinder. Basically it's all the front brake lines. Everything is a direct swap. From there you can clean up the wiring that is used for the abs.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have done this on my 95.

What you do is go to the junk yard and find a 94 model and get all the brake lines from where they connect at the firewall forward. You get the proportioning valve and the the lines that hook into the master cylinder. Basically it's all the front brake lines. Everything is a direct swap. From there you can clean up the wiring that is used for the abs.
Word, it's easy and cheap, around here you can get the whole front brake setup, hard lines prop valve etc. for like $20, and when your done you still have factory parts! Just don't use the original 88-94 RWAL unit.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how can you get the lines to bolt up right without the dump valve? guy on another forum did it and he had to buy a 1/2 to 7/16 inverted flare fitting to make it work. I plan to remove mine though.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On the 95 and up the original line running to the rear will hook directly to the prop. valve, just make a small bend in it by hand.