Discussion thread for '89/'92Chevy/GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the link to the build thread. I am looking for feed back and suggestions on the truck, possibly things I may be doing wrong or there is a simpler solution to. Currently progress is slowed right now being I am back in school, but minor progress should continue as time permits.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?1013-The-89-92-Chevy-GMC-Build-up-AKA-lil-Black

I have a couple problems I would like some feed back on, one is the top edge of my tailgate has a nasty dent in it from the PO backing into something with the tailgate open and buckling the top. I have been told this is hard to fix and it will be easier to get another one and just replace it. What are do you think about that?

Also all the bump strips on the GMC body are faded and no longer have the nice chrome strip along the top like they are supposed to, I have been toying with the idea of leaving them off after I paint the body, and just off the body I don't like the holes in the bumper when you take the strip off and I don't want to look for set of bumpers off a W/T if I don't have to. Do you guys think it will look ok like that or should I look for new impact strips? where would I be able to find any other then a salvage yard or buying new from GM?

Thanks for any help guys!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The truck is coming along nicely. I don't know about the chrome clad GMT900 wheels though. I never did like them.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I am having second thoughts myself, I haven't set them up next to it yet to see. I know it doesn't look the way I had planned it out in my head, a different chrome set of 16's I think is more fitting for the truck and probably what I will end up doing.

Last edited:

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of selling the GMT900 20's, looking for a durable 16 that looks good and I can off road with it. I am thinking chrome right now, but Black is a possibility if I go the blacked out look. Truck is now inside thawing some and the motor should be back in soon. Then off to the exhaust shop and paint and glass.

Last edited:

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about keeping the stock height, not really any "trails" up here to use a lift on and other than the look it isn't going to be beneficial to me to have the truck higher. Stock might be best for now until I have a newer truck for a DD. Then this truck can get lifted.

After the work that we did over the weekend, it should be on schedule to be on the road this summer sometime, possibly early fall if things get pushed back.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thought I would post an updated picture here too. Truck runs and drives right now, no more pushing it in and out:headbang:. The sheet metal work is also done, except the tailgate. Brakes, rear dif, 4X4 actuator, exhaust, glass, body work, and paint are all that is left really to get it on the road. And some other small things like finishing reassembling the grill and lights.

Last edited:

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust is going on next week. trying to make a decision about tips. I like the chrome 4 inch but the anodized blue is something different. I am putting duals and the cost of 2 in chrome is the same as one in the anodized. What do you guys think?