Disc Brakes Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7Brandon07

Reaction score
I think disc brakes are better in my opinion easier to work on less maintenance more efficient too, plus if drum brakes get wet in my experience they can take a nap on you

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have torn apart, cleaned, adjusted, etc my drum brakes multiple times over the last 7 years of ownership. I hate them. They constantly make noise, constantly need adjusting, constantly have parts failing (shoe hold down pins fell out once.. yes, I did install them correctly). They are just a headache.

I am swapping to discs eventually. The money is the only reason I haven't yet. If nothing else, disc brakes are, in my opinion, easier to work on. Even if I have the same issues, I'd rather replace disc brakes than drum brakes.

Are ALL rear drum brakes like this? Does it make a difference 10 bolt vs 14 bolt? My Dad has an '89 1500 Sierra that he's had since '01 or so. He doesn't drive it much, but don't recall him having any constant issues with his brakes. Brother bought a '91 1500 and he hasn't mentioned any brake problems. At least not yet. I have a '00 K3500 and have not had any problems either, but bought it just last year and I hardly drive it. The 1500s have about 150,000 miles each. My 3500 has 208,000 miles.

My DD is '99 Silverado with rear discs. I changed my rear disc brake pads at 224,000 miles on the '99. I'm sitting at 255,000 at the moment. I haven't driven the GMT 400s enough to know the rear brakes, but yes, the rear disc brakes are very reliable based on the performance of my '99.

Lastly, highway miles are much, much easier on brakes, than same miles driving in the city, so that's something I always consider on brake pad wear.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
No they aren't all like that. Mine are speshul. Either I don't know what the hell I'm doing (unlikely, drum brakes aren't that complicated. Get everything installed, adjust them until there is slight drag, install wheel and roll it) or I just have terrible luck with drum brakes. Either way, I'm fed up with them. Discs are easier to work on imo.