Did I totally bung up my swap? (97, 1500, 4l60e, 1 vs. 2 piece)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a conundrum. I'm working on a Trans swap in a 97 k1500 ex cab that I recently picked up for stupid cheap. The truck has a rebuilt 5.7 and runs like a dream. The main issue that I have is that the original Trans (225k on it) has reverse but no forward gears at all. No funny noises but the fluid is burnt to hell.

Anyways, I had a 4l60e out of a 98 already and decided to give a swap a shot. My spare (the 98) is a two piece with removable bell, but the one in the truck (97) is a 1 piece.

Basically, what I need to know is if the 2 piece will bolt up and run in place of a 1 piece Trans. I know the switch happened in 97, and the truck is a 97. Is there an adapter or dust cover or anything that I need to get?

Thanks!

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 98 trans was behind a 5.3 it definitely won’t work, if it was behind a 5.7 it should bolt up but the cooling lines might be in a different spot and the internal wiring might need swapped (not 100% sure on the wiring)

Reaction score
If the 98 trans was behind a 5.3 it definitely won’t work, if it was behind a 5.7 it should bolt up but the cooling lines might be in a different spot and the internal wiring might need swapped (not 100% sure on the wiring)
Interesting. I'll have to check the line positions. Based on the tag, it was behind a 5.7

Last edited:

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience having a 97, built in 96 with a 1piece transmission, you have to have a 97 1piece to bolt and plug up exactly without modification based on mechanics and transmission shops/ builders. However based on so called professional mechanics lately I don't trust them, not all, but just a majority of the ones in my area. Anyway, when I had my stage 2 built they said same thing about cooling lines and connectors. Bell housing pattern the same. May be difference in overall length of shaft, research parts before you try it would be my advice.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque converter spacing is different. Measure the distance from face of the bellhousing to the torque converter. If ls style, it will not fit without parts swapping

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trans cooler return fitting on the 4L80E moved from the front of the case to the rear by the geartrain, starting in '97.

Far as I can tell, the cooler fitting locations on the 700/4L60/60E never changed.

I don't know why a '98 5.7L 4wd transmission wouldn't fit a '97 5.7L 4wd vehicle; provided the wiring is the same. The trans and torque converter should bolt up like it was made to got there, 'cause it was. '98 was years before they screwed-up the trans length with the longer bellhousing.

What the extra bolt holes at the bottom of the removable bellhousing connect to is beyond me. A service manual should answer that--and they're downloadable from links on this site.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The trans cooler return fitting on the 4L80E moved from the front of the case to the rear by the geartrain, starting in '97.

Far as I can tell, the cooler fitting locations on the 700/4L60/60E never changed.

I don't know why a '98 5.7L 4wd transmission wouldn't fit a '97 5.7L 4wd vehicle; provided the wiring is the same. The trans and torque converter should bolt up like it was made to got there, 'cause it was. '98 was years before they screwed-up the trans length with the longer bellhousing.

What the extra bolt holes at the bottom of the removable bellhousing connect to is beyond me. A service manual should answer that--and they're downloadable from links on this site.
The bottom of the bellhousing looks similar to a manual trans bellhousing. Might just take a different bellhousing cover and the bigger holes might be for strut rods or something like that