Diag on running issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhonda1994

Reaction score
backstory: I replaced the motor in my 1994 k1500 5.7 almost three years ago now. But something went wrong and she got a bad wiring issue. I eventually sent her off to a shop to get fixed after her sitting for two years. I got her back and she ran good, but I didn’t like how low her ldle was while hot and at a stop (almost turning off) so I sent her back.
Issue now: I got her back and now when I turn her on she runs like crap. Erratic idle and really wants to shut off. He replaced her distributor and tweaked her throttle screw. Her starter also grinds while starting her sometimes.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He should never have touched the idle screw.
Whoever he is.
He either has the distributor installed one tooth off and I would be pretty surprised if it isnt one tooth off because that is a normal chuckelhead chevy thing to do.
And he probably didnt disconnect the distributor reference wire and set base timing at 0 tdc like he should have
So the dumbass tried to tweak the idle like it was a carbed engine.
The starter grinding may be a seperate issue but it could be related to it being way out of time too.
Do not let this person work on your truck ever again.