desperate for truck. flying to texas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j.edi

Reaction score
so, how crazy does this sound?

in-laws are giving me a 1994 GMC 1500 W/T, 3" lift.

been in the family since new. 160K miles. no rust.

keep in mind this is the lowly RCLB 4.3 V6 bone stock.

... and here's the catch:

hasn't been driven in months, it needs a starter, and it is 1,200 miles away in the Lone Star State.

... and here's what makes it easy:

i have a credit for a flight on American (DFW is the hub), and i recently totaled my Tacoma (don't ask)
- all i have to pay for it is the cost of a starter and gas money back home.

Should I be looking forward to a road trip in an unknown vehicle from TX to NC, or should I not take the risk?

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fact that they haven't driven it in months and the fact that are giving it to you tells me that something else is wrong.

j.edi

Reaction score
The fact that they haven't driven it in months and the fact that are giving it to you tells me that something else is wrong.

Well, I see your point - but this is a family of lawyers who aren't really hurting financially. They have enough vehicles and were going to donate it to a charity for needy kids.

I guess they found a needy kid.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I would make sure you have the means to get it home. I'm praying it's just a starter and gas money for you. Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. Hope it all works in your favor. Keep us updated. Welcome to the site!

Tyler/T-Unit

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's a long trip.

You also live in the same state as my future wife. ;)

~Via Mobile \,,/

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where in Texas is it?? There are plenty of us on here from Texas. Might be someone close that could look it over for you. Let you know if anything looks like it wouldn't make the trip or not... If it does need "just a starter" you might even persuade the person looking at it to install one for ya for a fee... Most of us like beer......lol. You would need to pay for a starter either way "if" that is the issue.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh and "a family of lawyers"...... Cause they ALWAYS tell the truth...... lol. Sorry couldn't resist.... But they are the in-laws like you said so you should be ok..

Sent from what use to be a great country.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My doctor friend does the same thing they donate older cars to help children lets us know if you need help I would change the oil and top off all the fluids make sure the spare tire has air and that it has a jack and the tools.

It's going to make the trip with no problems it's a CHEVY.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you just need a vehicle (any vehicle), add up the cost food, gas, repairs, hotels, etc. If that's more than you would need to buy a local truck in decent shape I say no.

If you want a rust free body, it has to be a GMT400 and you have plans of building it in to something then it sounds like a hell of a deal. If you trust what your in-laws are telling you that is....

Rust and body work are deal breakers for me. I can stand a little bit, but rust belt trucks are usually too far gone in the vintages that I like to buy. If I ever have to replace my truck with another used, I'll fly somewhere "rust free", buy the best I can find/afford and drive it back and then rust protect the crap out of it.

No more rust belt trucks for me.

I might of missed it, but is it a C or K (2wd/4wd)?

Last edited: