Dependable code reader ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_W_B

Reaction score
I want to buy a code reader for my wife's 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. I saw a Centech on sale at Harbor Freight for $129 (regular $150) that does pretty much everything I want. Reads most all vehicles since 1996 OBDII and CAN types. Even has ability to freeze frame and upload data to a computer via USB.

From looking around it "appears" that the Centech is actually the same unit made by Autel but sold in a slightly different format.

Anyhow here's my question. I read the reviews of the Centech and the Autel and was disappointed to see that many of these units do not last but a year or two before they just quit working.

Are there any dependable (lasting) code readers that don't cost over $500?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an auto Xray 6000, it does a lot and it does the enhanced gm live data, like you need to set the timing retard offset on a vortec. It's a nice scanner that does a lot but doesn't break the bank, now of course it doesn't do what some of the fancy OTC, Snap On, Etc do.

R_W_B

Reaction score
I have an auto Xray 6000, it does a lot and it does the enhanced gm live data, like you need to set the timing retard offset on a vortec. It's a nice scanner that does a lot but doesn't break the bank, now of course it doesn't do what some of the fancy OTC, Snap On, Etc do.

How long have you had it ?

Where did you buy it ?

How much was it ?

[Edit add later]-> found this AutoXray AX2500 CodeScout for $120

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best one for under 500 I know if is efilive scan only...but you probably don't need anything that extensive...I've heard good things about the autoxray but never used it...I have a simple hand held one from these guys:
http://equus.com/ I've had it for several years and the only thing I've had to fix on it was replacing the batteries...its a good setup for general OBDII/CAN/ABS use, and it's not too expensive, I want to say it was under $75 when I got mine.

that autoxray seems pretty cool if it does the enhanced GM data.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use the Equus 3140. Lasted almost 3 years and does everything I've needed it to so far.
Was around 200 if I remember correctly.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How long have you had it ?

Where did you buy it ?

How much was it ?

[Edit add later]-> found this AutoXray AX2500 CodeScout for $120
I have had it for 3 year's, it was around $250 and I bought it off of the internet, I think off of Amazon.

R_W_B

Reaction score
Thanks guys, all of the replies have been a great help. I think I'm gonna go with the AutoXray AX2500 CodeScout for $120. At least with the experience you guys have had with that brand I feel more confident in it's longevity.