"Deep" Trans Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So......Do I really need a deep filter for my new deep pan on my 4L60E? Or will a regular depth filter work fine? I mean, the fluid level is the same in the pan regardless.....

Thanks for any info,

Casey

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You need the filter that fits your pan depth. No reason to use the wrong one unless you're just feeling really, really lucky.

Richard

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regardless of the factory pan depth, it appears the same part number is used when it comes to filters. That's why I was wondering.
I see a lot of deep filters advertised, was thinking it might be more of a aftermarket thing....

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
HASTINGS FILTERS Part # TF113 Trans. code 4L60-E; S. Pan
HASTINGS FILTERS Part # TF156 Trans. code 4L60-E; D. Pan

Really?

Deep pan isn't an aftermarket thing; it's the factory pan that they switched to later in production - around 1997~1998.

Richard

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HASTINGS FILTERS Part # TF113 Trans. code 4L60-E; S. Pan
HASTINGS FILTERS Part # TF156 Trans. code 4L60-E; D. Pan

Really?

Deep pan isn't an aftermarket thing; it's the factory pan that they switched to later in production - around 1997~1998.

Richard

This is a little different but I put a mag-hytec pan on a couple weeks ago and it came with the recommended filter which (For my truck at least) is the the same as the stock one. Any idea why they don't use a longer or deeper one?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Beats me. I'd say, ask Mag-Hytec. Assuming you mean on the '93 which would have a shallow pan as stock. The Mag-Hytec is deep, but it may not be as deep as the later-model OEM deep pan, making that pan's filter incompatible. Just guessing though.

Richard

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[QUOTE

Really?

Richard[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the part numbers, I appreciate it!

Actually, my 96 k1500 came with the shallow pan, my aftermarket deep pan is 3 5/8, which is deeper than the later years factory deep pan I've seen.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If your pan is deeper than factory, then you should contact the maker of the pan for what filter to use. My opinion anyway. :gr_grin:

Richard