Decisions, decisions. What should i do?

Cummins or 454

• Cummins

Votes: 12 80.0%

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I think that my 6.5 is dead, I have a couple of choices in front of me right now. First is to swap to a Cummins, I already have a first gen 12 valve I just need to get an alternator bracket and probably an A/C bracket new drive shafts, and an intercooler for it. Second is swap a 454 vortec in, but I would have to change gauge the cluster and wiring harness from the engine to the dash so I can have the OBD2 plug in the stock location. what is everyone's opinion?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Since your truck is already a diesel I would go with the Cummins. But it really just depends how much monies you want to down in the long run

Sent from the big block!

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind guys, I drive 15+ miles one way to work and 40+ miles to the store weekly, so any mods to increase power, reliability and mileage would also help in my decision making.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really want to do a cummins swap in my K2500 but what people here are asking for a usable motor, I could have a 6.0 in my truck and running with money left over. You are already way ahead with having an engine. I say do the diesel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just said you dont have the time or tools to fix a 6.5L but you think fabbing a cummins install will solve your problems?!

It will be a quick 2 weeks of solid work. Did it at a custom diesel shop I worked at after I got out of class in college (friends with owner) and with 2 guys working during the day and 2 in the evening we had a running drivable truck in 2 weeks that still had issues to work out.

Find a 6.5L take out and swap it in. They can be had (heard running) for under 1K and if you can swap a 350 you can swap a 6.5L. That is your cheapest and quickest option that will still get you good mpg.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to find a 6.5 in running condition in my area for sale, once I get the parts in for the swap it should be easy, and I meant to say money. I really don't want the hassle of the half electronic diesel, I can figure out the votec easily enough, my buddy had one the we did some work to in school. I already have the Cummins including the mounts, bell housing, input shaft, and clutch. if I have to replace a valve in the 6.5 I may have to replace a piston and re do the cylinder IF the block isn't destroyed, so the engine will be out of the truck anyways so why not do a swap and make it something that I will be proud of.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres a good chance most gauges wont work.

In a 4x4 the cummins pan wont clear, the motor mounts will need to be made or bought, fuel lines fabbed, innercoolers dont just jump in GMT400's, and fan to rad clearance is tight (unless you recess the firewall). Other little things too. I didnt see that you were already NV4500 we did a 4l80, took a bit more work.

Look at boyce equipment, $1200 for a running 6.2L take out. Swap your turbo manifolds over, stick your hx turbo on it, and roll. You will then have a mechanical 6.2L. Now IMO you should add studs and 6.5L headgasket, 6.5L Diamond precups, rering and hone cyl, and rebuilt injectors before you stick a 6.2L in but for all intensive purposes it will work.

I can find a 6.5L for $850 running in a 96, electronic 6.5L isnt that bad. Just takes maintenence once a year. I can also set you up on a couple 6.2L's for $500 and less. Craigslist is full of them

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You won't be sorry with a running cummins under the hood... I'd kill for a cummins in mine...