Decided to LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda going about this in the hardest manner possible, but looks like you have already got stuff, and going to follow that path.

Finding a complete donor from an NBS would have likely been cheaper and easier. People get caught up on all the other stuff, when just getting it in and everything working is usually a decent task in itself.

Pretty sure the 6L80 is longer, but I may be wrong. That would require trans crossmember mods, and a custom driveshaft. When these trucks came with a 4L80, and the cheapie non adjustable LS swap brackets work fine too.

Your radiator choice is kinda...I dunno. The factory big block radiator for OBS trucks bolts right in, has more capacity than even the biggest in the HD NBS trucks, and has a port you can use for the stem vent, with a 5/8 to 1/4 hose adapter. Hoses go right up, no problems.

Stock ecm and cam would have been fine for the time being, pretty sure youre going to be over the HP from the factory vortec.

You speak of an unmolested truck, when your swap could almost look factory without all this other stuff.

I realize none of what I am saying is going to be of any help really, but just figured I'd throw that out there.
I appreciate the input. Only thing I’ve purchased so far is the engine and radiator. I bought the radiator earlier in the summer bc I was having some overheating issues while running the AC in the middle of the summer. I wanted to switch to electric fans so I pulled the fans off a 2006 2500 in the salvage yard. I bought a new radiator for that truck from NAPA. It’s up in the rafters in the garage still in the box.

I’m not 100% on using that setup.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I integrated the Dakota digital VHX in a 69C10 with a Terminator x and your fixin to spend some money!
You could put the 5" dash in and have everything you need for substantially less.
Yeah, it’s adding up but I’m just gonna buy a little bit at a time. I’ll work OT and just buy it as I go.

I’ve been wanting to do this for some time and I’m only gonna do it once so I figure I should get what I want. Added all up it’s still gonna be less than a newer used truck (at least that’s what I keep telling myself)

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add this to your parts to buy if your going with the 6L80/90.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ed_transmission_control/parts/558-499[/QUOTE]
damn, I did not realize you need a separate controller in addition to the x max.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I did not realize you need another controller in addition to the x max itself. I’ll have to reconsider that transmission

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figuring out how to attach and operate a 6L80E will add time, complication, and expense to your build, but maybe the efficiency gains over time would negate the expense part.

For just about the cost of the controller for that trans, you could go to the yard and yank an entire bolt-in 4L80E setup.
Yeah, I did not realize I’d need a special controller for the 6 spd transmission. I think you’re right.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped at a local engine building shop today. These guys are legit. They are extremely busy. Build a lot of high performance engines for the local racing scene.

Talked to the guy about going through the 6.0 I just got. Here’s what he quoted me:

I tear the engine down and bring him the block with the crank, camshaft and pistons out. He also wants the oil pan so he can clean it. He also said to drop off the heads with the rockers removed.

He will clean and inspect the block and heads then polish the crank and install new cam, rod and main bearings. He’ll deglaze the cylinders and do new rings. All new ARP bolts. Valve job on the heads and install the BTR springs.
$1200

The surfaces will get decked of course.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I did not realize you need another controller in addition to the x max itself. I’ll have to reconsider that transmission
Yep.
THe 6L transmissions have their TCM built onto the valve body. So you need that controller to do all the communications between ECU and TCM.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing tons of research here. So I’ve managed to locate a couple of 4L80e “rebuildable” cores within a 1 hour drive of my location. They range anywhere from $300-750. A couple of them listed say “no first gear” no price but to call. I’m thinking this might be the better route considering the general consensus on this particular transmission.