Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just when the ground had dried out enough to chance driving through the back yard again to access the garage, it rained most of the day yesterday, sometimes heavily.

Fortunately, I realized what was about to happen and pulled the Subdivision inside, just as the rain started. If I’d waited any longer, the rain and resulting mud would have prevented my pulling it inside. And there it will sit until things dry out enough to pull it out again.

Glad I thought to do that. Having the largest of my vehicles parked inside the garage will help considerably with this space planning process. The Subdivision, combined with the cardboard cutouts, will make it that much easier to visualize how things will fit in the space, and how the circulation around vehicle and benches etc. will work.

Time to start cutting cardboard!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like the original cad design to help envision your vision.
Yeah, the drawing really helped. Being able to lay things out on the actual floor will be a good reality check.
I used Auto Cad at work but, now I use Miscrosoft Visio at home, it's a lot cheaper. :waytogo:
I’ve used AutoCAD just a little bit, but didn’t have the need to use it much. The program I used to generate my floor plan is nowhere near as capable as AC, but works pretty well for what I do.

I’ve not tried Visio, and not sure it work on a Mac, which is what I use. I’ll have to check it out.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Planning stuff out is the way to go, I actually do a ton of research and write down all my thoughts until the plan comes together when it comes to custom system designs. Excellent work so far, love how the shop is coming together.

Attachments

• 20240107_104553.jpg
    20240107_104553.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240107_104707.jpg
    20240107_104707.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 10

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to imagine size and space until you can actually walk around in it. Also, when you start to put benches and vehicles in there it just keeps changing. No point trying to settle every detail from the outset. You chose the workshop size you needed, first hurdle done. Got it built, second hurdle cleared. Now you have to work on the layout, if you put as much as you can on castors then it isn't so important as they can be moved when needed. Cardboard cutouts are an excellent idea as they give you a real-time visual and having a vehicle in there where you would most likely be working on it allows you to place machinery and benches where they are most practical. Once you have this all worked out then your lighting plan will be obvious. Don't despair, it is all coming together, you are nearly there. We are all cheering for you, even from the other side of the planet ;)

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning stuff out is the way to go, I actually do a ton of research and write down all my thoughts until the plan comes together when it comes to custom system designs. Excellent work so far, love how the shop is coming together.
Writing stuff down on actual paper seems to help my thought process. Going back through my paper notes from a couple of months ago has been helpful; I only wish I had made more notes.

And thanks. It does seem to be coming together. :)

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to imagine size and space until you can actually walk around in it. Also, when you start to put benches and vehicles in there it just keeps changing. No point trying to settle every detail from the outset. You chose the workshop size you needed, first hurdle done. Got it built, second hurdle cleared. Now you have to work on the layout, if you put as much as you can on castors then it isn't so important as they can be moved when needed. Cardboard cutouts are an excellent idea as they give you a real-time visual and having a vehicle in there where you would most likely be working on it allows you to place machinery and benches where they are most practical. Once you have this all worked out then your lighting plan will be obvious. Don't despair, it is all coming together, you are nearly there. We are all cheering for you, even from the other side of the planet ;)
Well, I intended to get the cardboard cut today yesterday, but it just didn’t happen. It’s looking like tomorrow this afternoon.

And you’re correct, I really don’t have to nail down completely where everything goes, beyond my informed best guess. Thanks to casters.

Which, btw, hadn’t occurred to me to put on a workbench, until hearing it from you a while back. Makes perfect sense. At this point, even my first two sets of shelves will be on casters.

The main reason for wanting to sort out locations at this point is for task lighting.

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now for some actual planning.

In the context of this garage, planning should answer five questions:

1. How will the building be used?
2. What tools, equipment, work surfaces, and other physical objects are needed to support these uses?
3. How will these objects be arranged?
4. How will electrical power be provided?
5. How will lighting be provided?

Ideally one would answer these five questions before designing the building. At least the first three steps.

However, having a rough dollar figure in mind, I instead began by looking at buildings; and decided upon a three car garage with some work space. Sounded about right.

I used a CAD program to create a floor plan. I also made some lists on paper. These were my main initial planning tools, and they worked pretty well. To be fair, I made an initial run through steps 1 - 3; just not very methodically.

Nonetheless, I believed that I had enough information to order the building and have it built. There was also some time pressure, as the buildings were on sale for Labor Day, at a 20% discount. So I pulled the trigger.

As it turned out, the building itself, including the placement and size of doors and windows, appears to be just about right. Good thing, as it’s literally set in concrete.

But I hadn’t really completed steps 1 through 3; and steps 4 and 5 not at all.

So now that the building is here, but still somewhat of a clean slate, I believe it’s worthwhile to go through the whole process methodically.

# Step 1: How will the building be used?

- Safely store three operable vehicles
- Repair and maintain various vehicles
- Detail vehicles
- Repair and maintain farm equipment (tractor + attachments, and mowers)
- Store bicycles so as to be readily accessible
- Repair and maintain bicycles
- Store battery powered yard tools
- Store Christmas decorations (!)
- Provide space for various small projects
- Provide a sanctuary to promote mental well-being

That should cover it. Feel free to suggest additions.

# Step 2: What tools, equipment, work surfaces, and other physical objects are needed to support these uses?

I went back through this thread as well as my written notes, and compiled a list of those objects that I believed would occupy floor and wall space, either permanently or temporarily. I then reviewed the list and made additions and deletions as I remembered forgotten items and reconsidered the items I thought I needed.

Additions are noted in italics, and deletions are noted in strikethrough text.

Making the list also caused me to come up with a number of additional items that I hadn’t originally considered, thereby confirming that the process works.

The list:
- Three vehicles parked inside (Ford Ranger pickup, Chevy HHR, Suburban)
- Workbench (30” x 72”, with metal or formica top, on casters)
- Work table (3’ x 5’ repurposed kitchen table, on casters)
- Rolling three tier tool cabinet
- Recirculating solvent bath
- Welder with cabinet
- Air compressor (stationary; portable)
- Media blasting cabinet
- Shelving (at least two sets, 4’ wide, 6’ tall, on casters)
- Two post automotive lift (minimum 9,000 lb. capacity)
- Two mountain bikes
- Bike mechanic’s stand
- Mowers (as they’re being worked on)
- Tractor (as it’s being worked on)
- Seating for tasks and for conversation or reading (drafting stool; GMT400 third row seat)
- Trash can
- Floor sweep compound
- Sharps container
- Shop vac
- Rack for battery powered yard tools
- Rack for brooms and squeegee
- Oil absorbent
- Rags and paper towels
- Oily rag container
- Sound system
- Computer monitor
- Internet access
- Fire extinguisher(s)

Changes are discussed below.

- The welder is something I eventually want but won’t need initially, since I am currently clueless about welding. Looks like even an inexpensive welder and cart will run over $1000. It’s off the list for now.

- My idea was to use a stationary compressor to power a media blaster, and maybe some air tools. Such a compressor would be one of the most expensive items I’d have to acquire. However, if I’m being honest, a media blaster is something that I seldom find myself wishing for. Do I really need one? Maybe, but probably not. It’s off the list for now.

- My trusty 3 ½ gallon portable compressor generates a little over 4 CFM at 90psi, and works great for powering nail guns, blowing dust out of things, and inflating tires. I recently discovered that it’s supposedly large enough to drive a ½” drive impact wrench. I’ll use it as my garage compressor for now. The larger stationary compressor is off the list.

- For now the sound system will be an old Bose Sound Dock with an iPod. If that doesn’t suffice, I’ll consider upgrading.

- I don’t yet have computer monitor; my 12.9” iPad will suffice in the meantime.

That’s it. Again, feel free to suggest additions.

More to follow.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
And you’re correct, I really don’t have to nail down completely where everything goes, beyond my informed best guess.

I have rearranged my space 2-3 times as I've added tool boxes, lift, etc. And I've got an idea for 1 more move, that will actually put some stuff back to the beginning and will be adding another tool chest/work surface.

As you learn your space and how you use it more often, that will dictate your setup. When I was fully focused on building hot rods/cars, I wanted an open bay next to where all the tool boxes were to blow a vehicle apart and make it awesome. Now that I'm more focused on maintenance and repairs, the near open bay now houses the lift.

That 3.5gal compressor might give you a few ugga duggas out of a 1/2 impact, but it's not going to run one consistently for any given amount of time. Keep an eye on marketplace and craigslist. You can pick up a 60gal unit for less than $300 used. Change the oil in the compressor and send it!

Having a computer, good music system, and wifi in my shop was a game changer.