Death Wobble Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys here is the main issue I'm running into right now with the truck (1990 sierra). I've got a nasty death wobble at and speed and any ride height. (stock control arms) No separation on the tires. Pitman and idler arm replaced. Wheels are in balance and Its had an alignment. Wheel bearings are new. I had no sway bar on the truck for a little while went to Scrappin the Coast. Didnt have the issue then (1200 mile round trip). It eventually developed this death wobble. I recently put the sway bar back on took it for a spin and it still has the same issue. I know these trucks are notorious for steering boxes going out. Havent replaced the tie rod links. Ball joints arent bad. Might replace anyway due to the stress from being bagged. It happens when the road starts to get wavy or the road gets real rough. Some time its at random. When i has the truck in the air on the lift at the old job there is a bunch of play in the steering box when shaking the tire left and right, grated there is no weight. I dont want to drive the truck around with this issue due to finding out the hard way when something brakes. Truck has 190,000 miles on it.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Steering box.. you kinda answered you on question when you said there is alot of play in the box with no weight on the tires..

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace your sway bar bushings too, mine were reamed out to the point they weren't really making contact even. For a $10 fix it cleared up any wobble I had

1BAD90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steering box.. you kinda answered you on question when you said there is alot of play in the box with no weight on the tires..

I know that rendering. lol. Yea Me and Kevin were pretty much at the same thing on the steering box. He told me to open the lid and check the gears. Havent got to it yet.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
It's hard to completely pin point the problem. But, I would say the end links along with the A arm bushings and control arm bushings should be in order. I replaced everything in my front end when I had this problem, including arm bushings, and that stopped all of the wobble. BTW, my steering box needs to be changed, but I haven't done it yet. So I don't think the wobble is caused by the box itself.

1BAD90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to do the tie rod links. I dont like the sway bar being on the truck. You can feel the bar twisting when your driving. It rides like . I plan on taking the sway bar back off. I know plenty of people who arent running sway bars and dont have this issue. Wheels are balanced.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
could be slop in the rag joint on the steering shaft.

If that is the problem...
I have a Jeep shaft. Has the goop heated out of it & it's painted, all ready to go. $20.00 + shipping. That's about what it cost me for paint & gas to get it.