Dead on the side of the road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Siggertx

Reaction score
96 C1500 5.7, recent fuel pump, sending unit, regulator, MPFI, distributor, ICM, alternator, battery.

Cruising along at 78, suddenly cruise control kicked it up to 85 then engine stalled. Engine not cranking smooth, like it turns a revolution or two then hangs, then repeats. Fuel pressure at check valve seems good, if I bleed it then cycle the key it comes right back. Only code is P1351. ICM possibly? Waiting on a ride to the parts house to have it tested/replaced.

Any thoughts fellas?

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When an ICM fails the engine will crank and crank and crank but never fire. If a coil is bad it will usually start and then die when it heats up.

Does it start with a jump? If so I'd check the alternator, gotten some duds "new" before.

Siggertx

Reaction score
And I don't see how battery/alternator explains how the truck suddenly sped up then stalled. Fuel pressure regulator perhaps?

Reaction score
96 C1500 5.7, recent fuel pump, sending unit, regulator, MPFI, distributor, ICM, alternator, battery.

Cruising along at 78, suddenly cruise control kicked it up to 85 then engine stalled. Engine not cranking smooth, like it turns a revolution or two then hangs, then repeats. Fuel pressure at check valve seems good, if I bleed it then cycle the key it comes right back. Only code is P1351. ICM possibly? Waiting on a ride to the parts house to have it tested/replaced.

Any thoughts fellas?

How's the distributor and clamp? When you say cranks then 'hangs', sounds like possibly timing is off...is it possible something (distributor) moved? Guess you could yank the coil wire and try turning it over to see if it's smoother to help rule out timing.