dana 44 axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got a ford dana 44 but its pretty much only good for the housing. it missing most of the hubs and both axle shafts inner and outter and it needs to be regeared for my truck. now i also have a complete chevy dana 44 with a broken ring gear but everthing else is there. i know the chevy hubs will work on the ford axle. but what about axle shafts? can i use the shafts out of the chevy 44 in the ford 44? the ford axle is a 78 high pinion and the chevy is a 77 low pinion.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you need to get the inner shafts from a ford and you can use the chevy outers,caliper/dust shield bracket,hubs/rotors, from the chevy and you will need a chevy flat top knuckle for the passenger side, the driverside just use the knuckle off the chevy axle if you have it.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok cool thanks i do have flat tops on my chevy 44 so now all ill need is the ford inners. do you know if other years are compatible? or do they have to be out of a 78-79 ford?

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so any leaf sprung ford 44 should work for inner shafts.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just checked on ringpinion.com and it is 75-79 f250 D44 axles. Drivers side inner is 18.6" long and passenger side is 34.75" long. I'm running Yukon chromoly inner axle shafts in my front axle.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info. are the ford 44 flat top knuckles desireable?