Damned intake gaskets.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yzfone

Reaction score
Short version of long story. Started losing coolant out the front of the motor a week a go, i thought it was the water pump and purchased a new one. Then the light caught the leak just right and it was coming from the manifold. Immediately checked the oil and it looked fine. Had to wait until this weekend to change the gasket, so I kept the water topped off and checked the oil daily. Then I had a Soldier get hurt and did quite a bit of driving and apparently during this time the leak began in to the crank case. Oil looked horrible and when I pulled the manifold the bottom of it, the lifter spider and valve cover were covered in sludge. I'll clean both valve covers the manifold and what I can from the motor, but what can I use to remove the rest from within the engine? Can the oil pan be dropped with out lifting the engine, and what do you recommend to flush out the leftover sludge (ATF, MMO, SeaFoam,etc)?

Not so short after all, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SeaFoam would probably get most of it. Maybe Diesel, either will require a oil + filter change very quickly. Like 100 miles or less. Might take 2-3 oil changes to get it all without pulling the oil pan.

As for your 1st question, I don't know if it can be pulled without lifting the engine. I have no experience so I will let someone else chime in on that one.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I think if you use some engine flush and possibly drop the pan you will be fine, and yes if it's a 2wd you can drop the pan with the engine in the truck without lifting the engine at all, I have done it several times!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, on a 2wd you can pull the pan without lifting the engine....if it is a 2wd, I'd recommend pulling the pan to clean it out, and like was mentioned, even with dropping the pan, I'd run some kind of cleaner/flush with new oil, then after 50-100 miles, do a full oil change (filter and everything....if it were me, I'd even do another full oil change after ~2k miles....but that's just me, I tend to be OCD about my truck...

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
And if you're pulling the pan, swap the oil pump with a new, high flow one. They aren't expensive and are very, very easy to install.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine dumped the coolant into the oil once. Ran some flush through there and changed the oil. Never had any ill effects from it that I know of. That was at least 40K miles ago.

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
go to a local mechanic shop and ask if they have any "BG 109" its a BG Chemicals product that will get rid of all the gunk and it will melt away any built up crap around your piston rings as well, i would clean up the top end, then change the oil and let it run a bit to circulate the new oil through it, and put the 109 in there. After you put the 109 in it sit and idle it at 2000- 2500 rpms for 10 minutes or so then do another oil change. I do this service for customers all the time and it really does work, and like i said about the piston rings it basically reseats them, gets rid of burning oil issues and the like. good luck! :)

yzfone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will drop the pan this weekend. I'd already planned on doing a couple of oil changes in the near future. I'll see if I can find the BG-109 and use it.
Thanks again.