Cut pattern for nitto extreme mud grapplers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure exactly where to post this, but want to cut my worn grapplers so I don't end up in the ditch a million times this winter. They are pretty worn, about 3/16 tread on the rears about 1/4 on front. I really need new tires but can't afford em right now and wanna cut these and stand some chance of getting a grip till I can afford new tires. I've googled and searched but can't really find any cut patterns to atleast see what ppl r doing to em. Anyone have any ideas or pics I could see what's being done so I'm not cutting blind!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only tires ive ever seen cut are boggers, tsl"s baja claws and ground hawgs. I don't know what you would be gaining by cutting them if there that worn. I did do a quick search and the ones I seen looks like they just cut every other of the outside lugs.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna cut deeper between the lugs for one so I have some more tread , there is safely another 1/8-3/16 you can go down between the treads judging from similar tires . I'd take the worst tire and try small depths at a time till I either hit string or as deep as I feel comfortable going. That'll add some depth but mud grapplers suck in snow since thwy are big solid treads with no siphing to start with. I think I'm gonna break the treads into sections at 45* angles so there are more edges to even have a chance at sum grip. Just wanted to see if anyone has cut these before ya know? I know this isn't the safest thing to do to a tire ( the grooving in-between treads) but I drive about 10 miles a day max at a top speed of about 55 for a 2 miles stretch so I'm not stressing them coming apart. It's a last ditch effort to be able to save more cash for new tires that's all.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Maybe try siping the remaining tread first? Thats relatively easy and safer than cutting the way your describing. And you just a soldering iron with the flat blade on it to make the slits.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe try siping the remaining tread first? Thats relatively easy and safer than cutting the way your describing. And you just a soldering iron with the flat blade on it to make the slits.
I have a tire grooving iron already with 5/16 tips. I'm just gonna have to go slow I'm Sure

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot i had a set of Cooper stt pros 275/65r20 with about 1/4" tread on em, gonna cut those instead as they will stand a better chance in the snow, and are like a 34x10.50 so definantly no rub at full lock . Just hope they don't look stupid with almost 6" of lift.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I cut my stt pros , they have a Kevlar carcass and I had a spare to see how deep I could cut before I hit strings, and then came up 1/8" . Cut all 4 good ones between the stock lugs , didn't feel ambitious enough to modify tread design cause the tool really plays hell when u have arthritis. This is what I ended up with and actually have about 3/8" or more tread . Pic is one cut and other what I started with before cutting. Also tires are same hieght as my worn out mud grapplers just skinnier

You must be registered for see images attach

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Typo, tires r Cooper s/t max not stt pro grip pretty damn good on the road and pretty good in the snow and mud too. Might be ok this winter and save for sum new tires for summer time