Custom rear bumpers *pics please*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of how it's mounted. I'm trying to figure out how to make one of these and still be strong enough to pull on if the need arises. I just can't see a regular bolt on bumper would be strong enough.
I pulled in mine many times I don't have any pics of how it's mounted but it was with 6 grade 8 bolts more than strong enough

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Lol a bumper shoving into a box in an accident defys physics and logic? Your one confused individual aren't you. Do you need pictures?

You stated the bumper would cause more damage than having a roll pan. YES, that defies physics and logic!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How's it not practical for someone who actually uses their truck? I'd really like to know your input on this cause I can do just as much with the rollpan as I could with any other bumper

Well, I use my bumper as a step if I'm climbing into the bed. I've also been know to use it as a shelf...... which can be risky if you drive off like that. I have a receiver, as many here do, but I'm sure there's a at least a few guys that actually use the step bumper from time to time to mount a ball.

What happens with the receiver when mounting a roll pan? My factory receiver looks like it would be in the way, and stick way out.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Well, I use my bumper as a step if I'm climbing into the bed. I've also been know to use it as a shelf...... which can be risky if you drive off like that. I have a receiver, as many here do, but I'm sure there's a at least a few guys that actually use the step bumper from time to time to mount a ball.

What happens with the receiver when mounting a roll pan? My factory receiver looks like it would be in the way, and stick way out.

Hidden hitch

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Considering the bumper would cause more damage by shoving into the box

If someone hits you hard enough, sure the bumper won't save you..... but with a role pan EVERYTHING is hard enough to damage the body.

That makes no sense, at all.

It's a lot easier/cheaper to replace a bumper from a minor hit than to go through the process of pulling/filling/priming/painting a roll pan. If a hit is hard enough to do frame damage then it really doesn't matter what you've got back there. A hit from a few mph though? I'd rather just be able to undo 8 bolts and throw a new one on.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled in mine many times I don't have any pics of how it's mounted but it was with 6 grade 8 bolts more than strong enough

I'm thinking I'm going to try to modify the stock brackets and/or weld some tabs onto the back of the "roll pan" and drill them for my new bolts. I'm going to go for something in between just a flat/straight piece and the curved, more fitted style of a roll pan. Then get some D's welded on for those times when 4x4 isn't enough haha

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Not exactly off road worthy, but the GMT-800 bumpers have an updated look. And for $45-55 a piece ...incl. the brackets...at the pick-a-part they are cheap enough to smash and replace over and over.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Not exactly off road worthy, but the GMT-800 bumpers have an updated look. And for $45-55 a piece ...incl. the brackets...at the pick-a-part they are cheap enough to smash and replace over and over.

I was reading some threads where guys had been running newer style bumpers and I definitely like that look a lot. It will all just depend on what's available and easiest when the time to do something about it rolls around. Right now I'm just anxious and ready to pick her up from the paint shop tonight. She got a new coat of 2014 iridium metallic this week :)